1. Which standards organization oversees development of wireless LAN standards?
2. A network administrator is designing a new network infrastructure that includes both wired and wireless connectivity. Under which situation would a wireless connection be recommended?
- The end-user device only has an Ethernet NIC.
- The end-user device requires a dedicated connection because of performance requirements.
- The end-user device needs mobility when connecting to the network.
- The end-user device area has a high concentration of RFI.
3. A network administrator is troubleshooting connectivity issues on a server. Using a tester, the administrator notices that the signals generated by the server NIC are distorted and not usable. In which layer of the OSI model is the error categorized?
- presentation layer
- network layer
- physical layer
- data link layer
4. What type of cable is used to connect a workstation serial port to a Cisco router console port?
5. Which type of UTP cable is used to connect a PC to a switch port?
6. What is the definition of bandwidth?
- the measure of the transfer of bits across the media over a given period of time
- the speed at which bits travel on the network
- the amount of data that can flow from one place to another in a given amount of time
- the measure of usable data transferred over a given period of time
7. Which statement correctly describes frame encoding?
- It uses the characteristic of one wave to modify another wave.
- It transmits data signals along with a clock signal which occurs at evenly spaced time durations.
- It generates the electrical, optical, or wireless signals that represent the binary numbers of the frame.
- It converts bits into a predefined code in order to provide a predictable pattern to help distinguish data bits from control bits.
8. What is a characteristic of UTP cabling?
- immunity to electrical hazards
- woven copper braid or metallic foil
9. A wireless LAN is being deployed inside the new one room office that is occupied by the park ranger. The office is located at the highest part of the national park. After network testing is complete, the technicians report that the wireless LAN signal is occasionally affected by some type of interference. What are two possible causes of the signal distortion? (Choose two.)
- the microwave oven
- the large number of trees that surround the office
- the cellular phones that are used by the employees
- the elevated location where the wireless LAN was installed
- the number of wireless devices that are used in the wireless LAN
10. What is indicated by the term throughput?
- the guaranteed data transfer rate offered by an ISP
- the capacity of a particular medium to carry data
- the measure of the usable data transferred across the media
- the measure of the bits transferred across the media over a given period of time
- the time it takes for a message to get from sender to receiver
11. What is one advantage of using fiber optic cabling rather than copper cabling?
- It is usually cheaper than copper cabling.
- It is able to be installed around sharp bends.
- It is easier to terminate and install than copper cabling.
- It is able to carry signals much farther than copper cabling.
12. What is the purpose of the OSI physical layer?
- controlling access to media
- transmitting bits across the local media
- performing error detection on received frames
- exchanging frames between nodes over physical network media
13. Why are two strands of fiber used for a single fiber optic connection?
- The two strands allow the data to travel for longer distances without degrading.
- They prevent crosstalk from causing interference on the connection.
- They increase the speed at which the data can travel.
- They allow for full-duplex connectivity.
14. Which characteristic describes crosstalk?
- the distortion of the network signal from fluorescent lighting
- the distortion of the transmitted messages from signals carried in adjacent wires
- the weakening of the network signal over long cable lengths
- the loss of wireless signal over excessive distance from the access point
15. Which procedure is used to reduce the effect of crosstalk in copper cables?
- requiring proper grounding connections
- twisting opposing circuit wire pairs together
- wrapping the bundle of wires with metallic shielding
- designing a cable infrastructure to avoid crosstalk interference
- avoiding sharp bends during installation
16. Which statement describes a characteristic of the frame header fields of the data link layer?
- They all include the flow control and logical connection fields.
- Ethernet frame header fields contain Layer 3 source and destination addresses.
- They vary depending on protocols.
- They include information on user applications.
17. Which two factors influence the method that is used for media access control? (Choose two.)
- how data is generated by end devices applications
- how the connection between nodes appears to the data link layer
- how signals are encoded by the NICs on end devices
- how nodes share the media
- how the IP protocol forwards the packet to the destination
18. What is a characteristic of a WAN hub-and-spoke topology?
- It requires that some of the branch sites be interconnected through point-to-point links.
- It requires that every site be interconnected to each other through point-to-point links.
- All sites require a hub device that connects to a router.
- The branch sites are connected to a central site through point-to-point links.