Networking Essentials ( Version 2) – Modules 1 – 4: Internet Connection: Getting Online Pre-Test Exam
1. What is a characteristic of a SOHO network?
- It consists of multiple LANs with backbone infrastructure connections.
- It is a small network that connects a few computers to each other and to the internet.
- It is a collection of interconnected private and public networks.
- It is a large network, such as those used by corporations and schools, with hundreds or thousands of interconnected hosts.
2. What is the delay in the amount of time for data to travel between two points on a network?
3. What type of network is defined by two computers that can both send and receive requests for resources?
4. What is a role of an intermediary device on a network?
- forms the interface between the human network and the underlying communication network
- determines the path and directs data along the way to its final destination
- runs applications that support collaboration for business
- functions as the primary source of information for end devices
5. Refer to the exhibit. A student is working on a Packet Tracer lab that includes a home wireless router to be used for both wired and wireless devices. The router and laptop have been placed within the logical workspace. The student adds a laptop device and wants to replace the wired network card with a wireless network card. What is the first step the student should do to install the wireless card?
- Drag the wired network card into the list on the left side.
- Select the WPC300N option from the left and drag that card to the side of the laptop.
- Power off the laptop by clicking on the power button.
- Select the Config tab and then the wireless network card checkbox.
6. Which type of cable connection would be used in Packet Tracer to connect a FastEthernet port on a PC to a switch port?
7. Refer to the exhibit. Which menu item would be used to bring up a web browser?
8. Refer to the exhibit. A user is creating a wired and wireless network using Packet Tracer. The user has added a home wireless router, a PC, and a laptop. The user configures the home wireless router. Which icon represents the tool that can be used on the laptop to view the SSID and connect to the wireless router?
- PC Wireless
- Web Browser
- IP Configuration
- Command Prompt
9. Which type of network cable is commonly used in backbone networks and telephone companies?
- fiber-optic cable
- coaxial cable
- twisted-pair cable
- shielded twisted-pair cable
10. What is a purpose of an IP address?
- It identifies the physical location of a data center.
- It identifies a location in memory from which a program runs.
- It identifies a return address for replying to email messages.
- It identifies the source and destination of data packets.
11. A network administrator would like to determine the path a packet takes to reach the destination 192.168.1.1. What is the best command to determine the network path?
- ping 127.0.0.1
- tracert 192.168.1.1
- ping 192.168.1.1
- ipconfig 192.168.1.1
12. A group of newly hired entry-level network engineers are talking about the network cabling they are going to have to install as a team. What is a characteristic of Ethernet straight-through UTP cable?
- It can only use the T568A standard at both ends of the cable.
- It can be used to connect two network hosts.
- It is susceptible to interferences from EMI and RFI.
- It is Cisco proprietary.
13. Which IP configuration parameter provides the IP address of a network device that a computer would use to access the Internet?
- host IP address
- subnet mask
- default gateway
- DNS server
14. A traveling sales representative uses a cell phone to interact with the home office and customers, track samples, make sales calls, log mileage, and upload/download data while at a hotel. Which internet connectivity method would be a preferred method to use on the mobile device due to the low cost?
15. Which type of technology is used to provide digital data transmissions over cell phone networks?
16. Which wireless technology is used on smart phones to transmit data to another device within only very close proximity?