Which of the following statements describes a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack?
- One computer accepts data packets based on the MAC address of another computer
- A botnet of zombies, coordinated by an attacker, overwhelms a server with DoS attacks
- An attacker sends an enormous quantity of data that a server cannot handle
- An attacker monitors network traffic to learn authentication credentials
Explanation: An attacker builds a network of infected hosts, called a botnet, comprised of zombies. Zombies are the infected hosts. The attacker uses handler systems to control the zombies. The zombie computers constantly scan and infect more hosts, creating more zombies. When ready, the hacker instructs the handler systems to make the botnet of zombies carry out a DDoS attack.
More Questions: Cybersecurity Essentials Module 1 Quiz Answers
- An attacker sends an enormous quantity of data that a server cannot handle, using a botnet
- An attacker builds a botnet comprised of zombie devices
- A computer accepts data packets based on the MAC address of another computer
- An attacker views network traffic to gain access to authentication credentials
More Questions: Cybersecurity Essentials: Course Final Exam Answers