What is the purpose of ARP in an IPv4 network?
- to forward data onward based on the destination IP address
- to obtain a specific MAC address when an IP address is known
- to forward data onward based on the destination MAC address.
- to build the MAC address table in a switch from the information that is gathered.
Explanation: ARP performs two functions:
- To obtain a specific MAC address when an IP address is known, by broadcasting an ARP request message to all devices on a particular Ethernet network
- To use the gathered information to create a viewable table of IP address to MAC address mappings
Exam with this question: 9.4.2 Module Quiz – Address Resolution Answers
Exam with this question: Checkpoint Exam: Communication Between Networks
Exam with this question: 6.5.2 Module 6 – Network Design and Access Layer Quiz