220.127.116.11 Lab – Advantages and Disadvantages of IoT Devices Answers
Brainstorm the pros and cons of sensors.
Background / Scenario
Many devices have sensors in them that affect the operation of processes or generate data to assist governments and businesses. Do their advantages outweigh any disadvantages?
Step 1: Answer the following questions.
a) Describe some of the advantages for including sensors in parking spaces in a municipal parking garage?
– Allows for the monitoring in real time of the available parking spaces.
– Reduces traffic in parking garage taking into consideration that people can see the number of available parking spaces
– Enhances user experience
– Increases the safety of individuals and cars in general
– Reduces the costs of management related to hiring people for the purposes of managing the parking areas.
b) What type of data could sensors pull from your smart TV? From your fitness wearable?
– Smart TV: interests, advertisements, preferences, hobbies, cpu performance etc.
– Fitness wearable: heart rate, altimeter, temperature sensors, gps, accelerometer, skin response etc.
c) What might the data, from your previous answer, be used for? Is the use a good thing or a bad thing?
Utilizing smart devices through IoT has numerous benefits and also raises a lot of questions. In terms of the data collected through the Smart TV, it could be used to advertise to people based on their interests and preferences, which is in contrary to the principles of the right to privacy. On the other hand, it might mean that we utilize the internet to the fullest and receive information based on our interests.
Regarding the data that the sensors pull from the fitness wearable, most of them are crucial to understanding how our body works and when to push further or pull back. In addition, if the data is stored, it can be used in medicine for our benefit.