15.6.2 Module Quiz – Application Layer Answers
1. On a home network, which device is most likely to provide dynamic IP addressing to clients on the home network?
- a dedicated file server
- a home router
- an ISP DHCP server
- a DNS server
2. What part of the URL, http://www.cisco.com/index.html, represents the top-level DNS domain?
3. What are two characteristics of the application layer of the TCP/IP model? (Choose two.)
- responsibility for logical addressing
- responsibility for physical addressing
- the creation and maintenance of dialogue between source and destination applications
- closest to the end user
- the establishing of window size
4. What message type is used by an HTTP client to request data from a web server?
5. Which statement is true about FTP?
- The client can choose if FTP is going to establish one or two connections with the server.
- The client can download data from or upload data to the server.
- FTP is a peer-to-peer application.
- FTP does not provide reliability during data transmission.
6. A wireless host needs to request an IP address. What protocol would be used to process the request?
7. Which TCP/IP model layer is closest to the end user?
- network access
8. Which three protocols or standards are used at the application layer of the TCP/IP model? (Choose three.)
9. Which protocol uses encryption?
10. Why is DHCP preferred for use on large networks?
- Large networks send more requests for domain to IP address resolution than do smaller networks.
- DHCP uses a reliable transport layer protocol.
- It prevents sharing of files that are copyrighted.
- It is a more efficient way to manage IP addresses than static address assignment.
- Hosts on large networks require more IP addressing configuration settings than hosts on small networks.
11. Which two tasks can be performed by a local DNS server? (Choose two.)
- providing IP addresses to local hosts
- allowing data transfer between two network devices
- mapping name-to-IP addresses for internal hosts
- forwarding name resolution requests between servers
- retrieving email messages
12. Which protocol can be used to transfer messages from an email server to an email client?
13. When retrieving email messages, which protocol allows for easy, centralized storage and backup of emails that would be desirable for a small- to medium-sized business?
14. Which application layer protocol is used to provide file-sharing and print services to Microsoft applications?
15. An author is uploading one chapter document from a personal computer to a file server of a book publisher. What role is the personal computer assuming in this network model?