12.6.4 Module Quiz – Network Troubleshooting Answers
1. Which statement describes the physical topology for a LAN?
- It depicts the addressing scheme that is employed in the LAN.
- It describes whether the LAN is a broadcast or token-passing network.
- It defines how hosts and network devices connect to the LAN.
- It shows the order in which hosts access the network.
2. A network engineer is troubleshooting a network problem where users cannot access the FTP server at the same IP address where a website can be successfully accessed. Which troubleshooting method would be the best to apply in this case?
- comparing IP settings on user workstations
3. A computer technician performed a number of actions to correct a problem. Some actions did not solve the problem, but eventually a solution was found. What should be documented?
- everything that was done to try to solve the problem
- only the solution, because this solved the problem
- a description of the problem and solution
- only the failed attempts, so that future technicians will know what not to try
4. A network engineer is troubleshooting a network problem and can successfully ping between two devices. However, Telnet between the same two devices does not work. Which OSI layers should the administrator investigate next?
- all of the layers
- from the network layer to the application layer
- from the network layer to the physical layer
- only the network layer
5. While designing changes to a data center because of a new IoE implementation, a network administrator has the job of diagramming the new physical topology of the area. What should be included in the physical topology diagram?
- technical specifications of firewalls
- the service level agreement from the ISP
- cable locations and lengths between servers and switches
- the IP addressing scheme for all workstations in the company
6. A network technician is troubleshooting an email connection problem. Which question to the end-user will provide clear information to better define the problem?
- What kind of equipment are you using to send emails?
- How big are the emails you tried to send?
- Is your email working now?
- When did you first notice your email problem?
7. Which troubleshooting tool can be used to pinpoint the distance to a break in a network cable?
- network analyzer
- network analysis module
- cable tester
- digital multimeter
8. Which troubleshooting software is an example of a network management system tool?
- WhatsUp Gold
9. What is the purpose of establishing a network baseline?
- to document and analyze the network traffic
- to help monitor and troubleshoot network performance
- to provide an inventory of network devices
- to verify the configuration of routers and switches on the network
10. After which step in the network troubleshooting process would one of the layered troubleshooting methods be used?
- determining ownership
- narrowing the scope
- documenting symptoms
- gathering symptoms from suspect devices
11. A company is setting up a web site with SSL technology to protect the authentication credentials required to access the web site. A network engineer needs to verify that the setup is correct and that the authentication is indeed encrypted. Which tool should be used?
- fault-management tool
- baselining tool
- protocol analyzer
- cable analyzer
12. When should a network performance baseline be measured?
- immediately after the main network devices restarted
- during normal work hours of an organization
- after normal work hours to reduce possible interruptions
- when a denial of service attack to the network is detected and blocked
13. A networked PC is having trouble accessing the Internet, but can print to a local printer and ping other computers in the area. Other computers on the same network are not having any issues. What is the problem?
- The default gateway router does not have a default route.
- The switch port to which the PC connects has an incorrect VLAN configured.
- The PC has a missing or incorrect default gateway.
- The link between the switch to which the PC connects and the default gateway router is down.
14. A technician installed a network adapter in a computer and wants to test network connectivity. The ping command can receive responses from workstations on the same subnet but not from remote workstations. What could be causing the problem?
- The operating system is not compatible with the remote sites.
- The TCP/IP protocol stack is not loaded.
- The default gateway is incorrect.
- The NIC driver is out of date.
15. What network troubleshooting capability is provided by a cable analyzer?
- testing and certifying of copper and fiber cables
- generating reports on traffic that is consuming critical network resources
- measuring electrical values of voltage, current, and resistance
- discovering VLAN configuration and viewing switch interface details