1. Which type of tool is used by a Linux administrator to attack a computer or network to find vulnerabilities?
- intrusion detection system
- malware analysis
2. What is a benefit of Linux being an open source operating system?
- Linux distribution source code can be modified and then recompiled.
- Linux distributions are maintained by a single organization.
- Linux distributions must include free support without cost.
- Linux distributions are simpler operating systems since they are not designed to be connected to a network.
3. Which method can be used to harden a device?
- Allow USB auto-detection.
- Force periodic password changes.
- Allow users to re-use old passwords.
- Allow default services to remain enabled.
4. A system administrator issues the command ps on a server that is running the Linux operating system. What is the purpose of this command?
- to list the processes currently running in the system
- to display the contents of the current directory
- to process a new task
- to change file permissions
5. Which operating system source code can be downloaded and modified by any person or company?
- Cisco IOS
- Mac OS X
6. Which file system is the primary file system used by Apple in current Macintosh computers?
7. Consider the result of the ls -l command in the Linux output below. What are the group file permissions assigned to the analyst.txt file?
ls –l analyst.txt -rwxrw-r-- sales staff 1028 May 28 15:50 analyst.txt
- read, write, execute
- read only
- read, write
- full access
8. In the context of a Linux operating system, which command can be used to display the syntax and parameters for a specific command?
9. What is a daemon?
- a type of security attack
- a background process that runs without the need for user interaction
- a record to keep track of important events
- an application that monitors and analyzes suspicious activity
10. Which Linux command can be used to display the name of the current working directory?
11. An author is uploading one chapter document from a personal computer to a file server of a book publisher. What role is the personal computer assuming in this network model?
12. A technician has captured packets on a network that has been running slowly when accessing the internet. Which port number should the technician look for within the captured material to locate HTTP packets?
13. A system administrator issues the apt-get upgrade command on a Linux operating system. What is the purpose of this command?
- The remote repository of applications and dependencies will be updated to the latest version.
- A specific application named upgrade will be installed.
- Operating system updates are downloaded and will be installed.
- Every application installed will update itself to the latest version.
14. Why would a rootkit be used by a hacker?
- to reverse engineer binary files
- to do reconnaissance
- to try to guess a password
- to gain access to a device without being detected