1. What type of attack uses zombies?
- Trojan horse
- SEO poisoning
- Spear phishing
- DDoS *
2. What is the best description of Trojan horse malware?
- It is the most easily detected form of malware.
- It appears as useful software but hides malicious code. *
- It is malware that can only be distributed over the Internet.
- It is software that causes annoying but not fatal computer problems.
3. What is the purpose of a rootkit?
- To masquerade as a legitimate program
- To deliver advertisements without user consent
- To replicate itself independently of any other programs
- To gain privileged access to a device while concealing itself *
4. When describing malware, what is a difference between a virus and a worm?
- A virus focuses on gaining privileged access to a device, whereas a worm does not.
- A virus replicates itself by attaching to another file, whereas a worm can replicate itself independently. *
- A virus can be used to launch a DoS attack (but not a DDoS), but a worm can be used to launch both DoS and DDoS attacks.
- A virus can be used to deliver advertisements without user consent, whereas a worm cannot.
5. What is an example of “hacktivism”?
- Criminals use the Internet to attempt to steal money from a banking company.
- A country tries to steal defense secrets from another country by infiltrating government networks.
- A teenager breaks into the web server of a local newspaper and posts a picture of a favorite cartoon character.
- A group of environmentalists launch a denial-of-service attack against an oil company that is responsible for a large oil spill. *
6. What is the purpose of a reconnaissance attack on a computer network?
- To steal data from the network servers
- To prevent users from accessing network resources
- To redirect data traffic so that it can be monitored
- To gather information about the target network and system *
7. Which tool is used to provide a list of open ports on network devices?
- Nmap *
8. Which type of attack allows an attacker to use a brute-force approach?
- Packet sniffing
- Social engineering
- Denial of service
- Password cracking *
9. Which term is used to describe the act of sending an email message in an attempt to divulge sensitive information from someone?
- Phishing *
- DoS attack
- Script kiddie
10. What is the significant characteristic of worm malware?
- A worm can execute independently of the host system. *
- Worm malware disguises itself as legitimate software.
- A worm must be triggered by an event on the host system.
- Once installed on a host system, a worm does not replicate itself.
11. A network administrator detects unknown sessions involving port 21 on the network. What could be causing this security breach?
- An FTP Trojan horse is executing. *
- A reconnaissance attack is occurring.
- A denial-of-service attack is occurring.
- Cisco Security Agent is testing the network.
12. Which example illustrates how malware might be concealed?
- A botnet of zombies carry personal information back to the hacker.
- An attack is launched against the public website of an online retailer with the objective of blocking its response to visitors.
- A hacker uses techniques to improve the ranking of a website so that users are redirected to a malicious site.
- An email is sent to the employees of an organization with an attachment that looks like an antivirus update, but the attachment actually consists of spyware. *
13. Which type of security threat can be described as software that attaches itself to another program to execute a specific unwanted function?
- Virus *
- Proxy Trojan horse
- Denial-of-service Trojan horse
14. What type of malware has the primary objective of spreading across the network?
- Trojan horse
15. Why would a rootkit be used by a hacker?
- to gain access to a device without being detected
- to do reconnaissance
- to reverse engineer binary files
- to try to guess a password
16. Which type of hacker is motivated to protest against political and social issues?
- script kiddie
- vulnerability broker
17. What is a characteristic of a Trojan horse as it relates to network security?
- Extreme quantities of data are sent to a particular network device interface.
- An electronic dictionary is used to obtain a password to be used to infiltrate a key network device.
- Too much information is destined for a particular memory block, causing additional memory areas to be affected.
- Malware is contained in a seemingly legitimate executable program.
18. What is a botnet?
- a group of web servers that provide load balancing and fault tolerance
- an online video game intended for multiple players
- a network that allows users to bring their own technology
- a network of infected computers that are controlled as a group
19. Which type of Trojan horse security breach uses the computer of the victim as the source device to launch other attacks?
20. What is the primary goal of a DoS attack?
- to prevent the target server from being able to handle additional requests
- to scan the data on the target server
- to facilitate access to external networks
- to obtain all addresses in the address book within the server
21. What is a main purpose of launching an access attack on network systems?
- to prevent other users from accessing the system
- to scan for accessible networks
- to gather information about the network
- to retrieve data
22. What causes a buffer overflow?
- launching a security countermeasure to mitigate a Trojan horse
- attempting to write more data to a memory location than that location can hold
- sending repeated connections such as Telnet to a particular device, thus denying other data sources
- sending too much information to two or more interfaces of the same device, thereby causing dropped packets
- downloading and installing too many software updates at one time
23. A company pays a significant sum of money to hackers in order to regain control of an email and data server. Which type of security attack was used by the hackers?
- Trojan horse
24. What is the term used to describe an email that is targeting a specific person employed at a financial institution?
- target phishing
- spear phishing
25. Which access attack method involves a software program that attempts to discover a system password by the use of an electronic dictionary?
- packet sniffer attack
- denial of service attack
- buffer overflow attack
- brute-force attack
- port redirection attack
- IP spoofing attack
26. In what way are zombies used in security attacks?
- They are infected machines that carry out a DDoS attack.
- They are maliciously formed code segments used to replace legitimate applications.
- They target specific individuals to gain corporate or personal information.
- They probe a group of machines for open ports to learn which services are running
27. What are two evasion methods used by hackers? (Choose two.)
- access attack
- resource exhaustion
28. What are two purposes of launching a reconnaissance attack on a network? (Choose two.)
- to retrieve and modify data
- to scan for accessibility
- to escalate access privileges
- to prevent other users from accessing the system
- to gather information about the network and devices
29. What are three techniques used in social engineering attacks? (Choose three.)
- buffer overflow
- sending junk email
30. An attacker is using a laptop as a rogue access point to capture all network traffic from a targeted user. Which type of attack is this?
- port redirection
- trust exploitation
- buffer overflow
- man in the middle
31. A user is curious about how someone might know a computer has been infected with malware. What are two common malware behaviors? (Choose two.)
- The computer emits a hissing sound every time the pencil sharpener is used.
- The computer freezes and requires reboots.
- No sound emits when an audio CD is played.
- The computer gets increasingly slower to respond.
- The computer beeps once during the boot process.
32. Which type of security attack would attempt a buffer overflow?
33. What is a significant characteristic of virus malware?
- Virus malware is only distributed over the Internet.
- Once installed on a host system, a virus will automatically propagate itself to other systems.
- A virus is triggered by an event on the host system.
- A virus can execute independently of the host system
34. A senior citizen receives a warning on the computer that states that the operating system registry is corrupt and to click a particular link to repair it. Which type of malware is being used to try to create the perception of a computer threat to the user?
35. What is the motivation of a white hat attacker?
- fine tuning network devices to improve their performance and efficiency
- taking advantage of any vulnerability for illegal personal gain
- studying operating systems of various platforms to develop a new system
- discovering weaknesses of networks and systems to improve the security level of these systems
36. What is a ping sweep?
- a network scanning technique that indicates the live hosts in a range of IP addresses.
- a query and response protocol that identifies information about a domain, including the addresses that are assigned to that domain.
- a software application that enables the capture of all network packets that are sent across a LAN.
- a scanning technique that examines a range of TCP or UDP port numbers on a host to detect listening services
37. What is the term used when a malicious party sends a fraudulent email disguised as being from a legitimate, trusted source?
38. What are the three major components of a worm attack? (Choose three.)
- an enabling vulnerability
- a propagation mechanism
- a payload
- a probing mechanism
- a penetration mechanism
- an infecting vulnerability
39. Which security threat installs on a computer without the knowledge of the user and then monitors computer activity?
40. Match the security concept to the description.
41. Match the network security testing technique with how it is used to test network security. (Not all options are used.)
Download PDF File below: