3.6.4 Module Quiz – VLANs Answers
1. What happens to a port that is associated with VLAN 10 when the administrator deletes VLAN 10 from the switch?
- The port creates the VLAN again.
- The port goes back to the default VLAN.
- The port automatically associates itself with the native VLAN.
- The port becomes inactive.
2. In which memory location are the VLAN configurations of normal range VLANs stored on a Catalyst switch?
3. An administrator is investigating a failure on a trunk link between a Cisco switch and a switch from another vendor. After a few show commands, the administrator notices that the switches are not negotiating a trunk. What is a probable cause for this issue?
- Both switches are in nonegotiate mode.
- Switches from other vendors do not support DTP.
- Both switches are in trunk mode.
- DTP frames are flooding the entire network.
4. What is the purpose of the vlan.dat file on a switch?
- It holds the VLAN database.
- It holds the running configuration.
- It holds the operating system.
- It holds the saved configuration.
5. What is the purpose of setting the native VLAN separate from data VLANs?
- A separate VLAN should be used to carry uncommon untagged frames to avoid bandwidth contention on data VLANS.
- The security of management frames that are carried in the native VLAN can be enhanced.
- The native VLAN is for carrying VLAN mnanagement traffic only.
- The native VLAN is for routers and switches to exchange their management information, so it should be different from data VLANS.
6. When a Cisco switch receives untagged frames on a 802.1Q trunk port, which VLAN ID is the traffic switched to by default?
- management VLAN ID
- data VLAN ID
- native VLAN ID
- unused VLAN ID
7. A network administrator is determining the best placement of VLAN trunk links. Which two types of point-to-point connections utilize VLAN trunking? (Choose two.)
- between two switches that utilize multiple VLANs
- between a switch and a server that has an 802.1Q NIC
- between a switch and a network printer
- between two switches that share a common VLAN
- between a switch and a client PC
8. What are three primary benefits of using VLANs? (Choose three.)
- a reduction in the number of trunk links
- cost reduction
- end user satisfaction
- improved IT staff efficiency
- no required configuration
9. On a Cisco switch, where is extended range VLAN information stored?
- running configuration file
- startup configuration file
10. In which location are the normal range VLANs stored on a Cisco switch by default?
- flash memory
11. Which distinct type of VLAN is used by an administrator to access and configure a switch?
- data VLAN
- default VLAN
- native VLAN
- management VLAN
12. For what reason would a network administrator use the show interfaces trunk command on a switch?
- to view the native VLAN
- to examine DTP negotiation as it occurs
- to display an IP address for any existing VLAN
- to verify port association with a particular VLAN
13. Where is the vlan.dat file stored on a switch?
- in NVRAM
- in flash memory
- in RAM
- on the externally attached storage media or internal hard drive
14. If an organization is changing to include Cisco IP phones in its network, what design feature must be considered to ensure voice quality?
- Voice traffic needs to be tagged with the native VLAN.
- A separate VLAN is needed for voice traffic.
- Voice traffic and data traffic require separate trunk links between switches.
- Additional switch ports that are dedicated to Cisco IP phones are required.
15. A Cisco switch currently allows traffic tagged with VLANs 10 and 20 across trunk port Fa0/5. What is the effect of issuing a switchport trunk allowed vlan 30 command on Fa0/5?
- It allows a native VLAN of 30 to be implemented on Fa0/5.
- It allows VLANs 10, 20, and 30 on Fa0/5.
- It allows only VLAN 30 on Fa0/5.
- It allows VLANs 1 to 30 on Fa0/5.
16. Which three statements accurately describe VLAN types? (Choose three).
- A data VLAN is used to carry VLAN management data and user-generated traffic.
- A management VLAN is any VLAN that is configured to access management features of the switch.
- After the initial boot of an unconfigured switch, all ports are members of the default VLAN.
- An 802.1Q trunk port, with a native VLAN assigned, supports both tagged and untagged traffic.
- Voice VLANs are used to support user phone and email traffic on a network.
- VLAN 1 is always used as the management VLAN.
17. Which type of VLAN is used to designate which traffic is untagged when crossing a trunk port?
- VLAN 1
18. What are two primary benefits of using VLANs? (Choose two.)
- A reduction in the number of trunk links
- Cost reduction
- Improved IT staff efficiency
- No required configuration
- Reduced security
19. Which command displays the encapsulation type, the voice VLAN ID, and the access mode VLAN for the Fa0/1 interface?
- show interfaces Fa0/1 switchport
- show interfaces trunk
- show mac address-table interface Fa0/1
- show vlan brief
20. What must the network administrator do to remove FastEthernet 0/1 from VLAN 2 and assign it to VLAN 3?
- Enter the no shutdown interface config command on Fa0/1.
- Enter the no vlan 2 and the vlan 3 global config commands.
- Enter the switchport access vlan 3 interface config command on Fa0/1.
- Enter the switchport trunk native vlan 3 interface config command on Fa0/1.
21. A Cisco Catalyst switch has been added to support the use of multiple VLANs as part of an enterprise network. The network technician finds it necessary to clear all VLAN information from the switch in order to incorporate a new network design. What should the technician do to accomplish this task?
- Delete the IP address that is assigned to the management VLAN and reboot the switch.
- Delete the startup configuration and the vlan.dat file in the flash memory of the switch and reboot the switch.
- Erase the running configuration and reboot the switch.
- Erase the startup configuration and reboot the switch.
22. Which two characteristics match extended range VLANs? (Choose two.)
- CDP can be used to learn and store these VLANs.
- They are commonly used in small networks.
- They are saved in the running-config file by default.
- VLAN IDs exist between 1006 to 4094.
- VLANs are initialized from flash memory.
23. What happens to switch ports after the VLAN to which they are assigned is deleted?
- The ports are assigned to VLAN 1, the default VLAN.
- The ports are disabled and must be re-enabled using the no shutdown command.
- The ports are placed in trunk mode.
- The ports stop communicating with the attached devices.
24. You must configure a trunk link between a Cisco Catalyst 2960 switch to another vendor Layer 2 switch. Which two commands should be configured to enable the trunk link? (Choose two.)
- switchport mode access
- switchport mode dynamic auto
- switchport mode dynamic desirable
- switchport mode trunk
- switchport nonegotiate