IT Essentials v7.0:
1. Which two items are used in asymmetric encryption? (Choose two.)
- a token
- a DES key
- a private key
- a public key
- a TPM
2. Which two algorithms are used for hash encoding to guarantee the integrity of data? (Choose two.)
- chap checksum
3. A high technology company has an issue with unauthorized people gaining access into the company by following an authorized employee through the secure entrance. Which two measures could help with this security breach? (Choose two.)
- employee smart ID
- multifactor authentication
- security guard that checks IDs
4. A user receives a phone call from a person who claims to represent IT services and then asks that user for confirmation of username and password for auditing purposes. Which security threat does this phone call represent?
- social engineering
- anonymous keylogging
5. The IT department is reporting that a company web server is receiving an abnormally high number of web page requests from different locations simultaneously. Which type of security attack is occurring?
- social engineering
6. After confirming the removal of a virus from a computer, how should the technician ensure and verify the full functionality of the system?
- Check for the latest OS patches and updates.
- Document the problem and the procedures performed to solve it.
- Talk with the user to determine the cause of the problem.
- Gather information from a number of sources to clearly identify the problem.
7. A system administrator has been asked to protect the sensitive data on the Windows 7 computers of all management employees. Which Windows feature can be used to selectively encrypt individual files within the user accounts of each manager?
- Windows Update
8. When would a PC repair person want to deploy the idle timeout feature?
- when users are inserting media and running applications not sanctioned by the company
- when users are leaving their desk but remaining logged on
- when users are playing music CDs and leaving them playing even after the users have left for the day
- when users are surfing the Internet and not doing their job
9. Which type of firewall serves as a relay between users and servers on the Internet, inspects all traffic, and allows or denies traffic based on a set of rules?
- packet filtering firewall
- stateful packet firewall
- proxy firewall
- operating system firewall
10. What would cause a Microsoft Windows update to fail?
- The wired or wireless NIC was disabled.
- The computer has a virus.
- The computer has had its security breached.
- A required prior update was not installed.
11. A user calls the help desk reporting that a laptop is not performing as expected. Upon checking the laptop, a technician notices that some system files have been renamed and file permissions have changed. What could cause these problems?
- The file system is corrupted.
- The laptop is infected by a virus.
- The display driver is corrupted.
- The file system has been encrypted.
12. How can users working on a shared computer keep their personal browsing history hidden from other workers that may use this computer?
- Reboot the computer after closing the web browser.
- Operate the web browser in private browser mode.
- Use only an encrypted connection to access websites.
- Move any downloaded files to the recycle bin.
13. A retail store wants to secure laptops that are on display. The store manager also wants a record of which employees enter the backroom where inventory is kept. Which security option would work best for this situation?
- guards and log sheets
- security cameras and only the manager having access to the backroom
- cable locks and a token-based lock on the backroom
- a condition that laptops are viewed one at a time and only the owner has a key to the backroom
14. Refer to the exhibit. The security policy of an organization allows employees to connect to the office intranet from their homes. Which type of security policy is this?
- acceptable use
- incident handling
- network maintenance
- remote access
15. A user notices that files created and saved locally last week are missing and asks the technician to investigate. The technician suspects there has been a security breach. Which type of malware could be responsible?
16. A group of users on the same network are all complaining about their computers running slowly. After investigating, the technician determines that these computers are part of a zombie network. Which type of malware is used to control these computers?
17. What are signatures as they relate to security threats?
- a unique encryption code used by a known attacker
- one or more code patterns within a specific type of malware
- the beginning or end of a malware segment that has a specific cyclic redundancy check number
- the checksum associated with each specific type of malware that is stored in a virus table
18. A college student logs onto a college computer for the first time. Which security policy category should be presented to the student?
- acceptable use policies
- identification and authentication policies
- incident handling policies
- network maintenance policies
19. A technician is preparing to encrypt a corporate drive by using Microsoft BitLocker. Which BIOS option will the technician need to enable?
20. Which security technique or device wipes the data from a hard drive by being placed near the drive platter for at least 2 minutes?
- degaussing wand
- low-level format
- biometric scanner
- erase scope
21. Refer to the exhibit. Which type of workstation password is being used?
22. A customer uses Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge as browsers on the computer. The customer asks the technician how to configure the computer to detect and filter phishing websites, to analyze websites for suspicious items, and to check downloads against a list of known malicious files and sites. Which web security feature should the technician demonstrate?
- ActiveX Filter
- SmartScreen Filter
23. A SOHO company has hired a technician to come in and configure and secure the computers. The technician has decided to configure a local security policy for the machines. Which setting would the technician use to ensure that the user did not make their password the same as their own user account name?
- enforce password history
- maximum password age
- minimum password length
- meet complexity requirements
24. A technician is configuring rights and permissions in Windows 7. Which tool will the technician use?
- Device Manager
- Local Security Policy
- Local Users and Groups
- Resource Monitor
25. An IT technician wants to create a rule on two Windows 10 computers to prevent an installed application from accessing the public Internet. Which tool would the technician use to accomplish this task?
- Computer Management
- Local Security Policy
- Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security
26. A newly created company has fifteen Windows 10 computers that need to be installed before the company can open for business. What is a best practice that the technician should implement when configuring the Windows Firewall?
- The technician should remove all default firewall rules and selectively deny traffic from reaching the company network.
- The technician should enable the Windows Firewall for inbound traffic and install other firewall software for outbound traffic control.
- After implementing third party security software for the company, the technician should verify that the Windows Firewall is disabled.
- The technician should create instructions for corporate users on how to allow an app through the WIndows Firewall using the Administrator account.
27. Which two statements characterize wireless network security? (Choose two.)
- Wireless networks offer the same security features as wired networks offer.
- Wireless guest mode provides open access to a protected LAN.
- With SSID broadcast disabled, an attacker must know the SSID to connect.
- Using the default IP address on an access point makes hacking easier.
- An attacker needs physical access to at least one network device to launch an attack.
28. A manager approaches a PC repair person with the issue that users are coming in to the company in the middle of the night to play games on their computers. What might the PC repair person do to help in this situation?
- Limit the login times.
- Use Event View to document the times logged in and out of the computer.
- Use Device Manager to limit access to the computer.
- Enable power on passwords in the BIOS.
29. A technician has been asked by a manager to recommend a security solution for protecting a computer against worms. Which security technique should the technician recommend?
- ping sweep
30. A technician has been asked by a manager to recommend a security solution for protecting a computer against ransomware. Which security technique should the technician recommend?
- ping sweep
31. A technician has been asked by a manager to recommend a security solution for protecting a computer against spyware. Which security technique should the technician recommend?
- dual authentication
- ping sweep
32. A technician has been asked by a manager to recommend a security solution for protecting a computer against keyloggers. Which security technique should the technician recommend?
- ping sweep
33. A technician has been asked by a manager to recommend a security solution for protecting a computer against adware programs. Which security technique should the technician recommend?
- ping sweep
34. A technician has been asked by a manager to recommend a security solution for protecting a computer against rootkits. Which security technique should the technician recommend?
- ping sweep
- dual authentication
35. A technician has been asked by a manager to recommend a security solution for protecting a computer against Trojans. Which security technique should the technician recommend?
- port scan
- dual authentication
IT Essentials v6.0:
1. What is the correct way to conduct a telephone call to troubleshoot a computer problem?
- Always gather information from the customer and escalate the problem.
- Maintain professional behavior at all times.
- Ask personal questions to get better acquainted with the customer.
- Explain each step to help the customer understand the troubleshooting process.
2. What is a recommended technique for a technician who is both troubleshooting a problem and also trying to help a customer relax?
- Establish a good rapport with the customer.
- Give the customer one minute to speak before taking over the conversation.
- Put the customer on hold.
- Spend time explaining the cause of the problem to the customer.
3. A customer is upset and wants to speak to a specific technician to resolve a problem immediately. The requested technician is away from the office for the next hour. What is the best way to handle this call?
- Refer the angry customer to a supervisor.
- Advise the customer that the requested technician is out of the office and insist on trying to resolve the problem.
- Make an offer to help the customer immediately, and advise the customer that otherwise the requested technician will call the customer back within two hours.
- Ignore the request for the specific technician by walking through a step-by-step process with the customer in an attempt to refocus the customer and solve the problem.
4. What two actions should a call center technician avoid when dealing with an angry customer? (Choose two.)
- spending time explaining what caused the problem
- putting the customer on hold or transferring the call
- apologizing for any inconvenience caused to the customer
- sympathizing with the customer
- letting the customer explain the problem without interruption
5. A call center technician is on a call with a customer when a colleague indicates that there is something to discuss. What should the technician do?
- Interrupt the customer and ask whether the customer would mind going on hold for a few minutes.
- Tell the customer that the call will be put on hold for a few minutes.
- Signal to the colleague to wait.
- Mute the line to the customer while discussing the issue with the colleague.
6. A technician receives a call from a customer who is too talkative. How should the technician handle the call?
- Talk over the customer and quickly gather the necessary information to be of help.
- Allow the customer to speak for one minute and then try to refocus the conversation.
- Use open-ended questions and repeat all the information back to the customer to politely show that unnecessary information is being given.
- Politely step in and gain control of the call by asking the customer social questions.
7. What are two examples of displaying professional communication skills while talking to a customer? (Choose two.)
- the use of active listening, with occasional interjections such as “I see” or “I understand”
- clarifying what customers say after they have finished their explanations
- interrupting customers with a question to gather more information
- asking customers to paraphrase their explanations
- focusing on what you cannot do to give customers an idea of the magnitude of the problem
8. Which statement describes a best practice related to time management?
- The technician should take the easier calls first, regardless of the urgency.
- The technician should give better service to a customer for whom the technician feels more sympathy.
- The technician can take the call of another technician, even without permission to do so.
- The technician should make sure to call the customer back as close to the callback time as possible.
9. Which two rules should be followed by call center employees to ensure customer satisfaction? (Choose two.)
- Show favoritism to returning customers.
- Sympathize with customers regarding their negative views of a previous technician.
- Offer different repair or replacement options if possible.
- Communicate the repair status with explanations of any delays.
- Take a call assigned to another technician on the call board if the call is from a known customer.
10. Fill in the blank. The SLA is a contract defining the agreed-on level of support between a customer and a service vendor.
11. During the process of troubleshooting, a technician gains access to customer private information. What is expected that the technician do with this information?
- Document all information in a log file.
- Keep it confidential.
- Send this information to the manager of the customer.
- Send this information to the technician manager.
- Back up the information just in case the customer needs it some day.
12. Which statement is characteristic of most personal software licenses?
- Developers are allowed to modify and share the source code that runs the software.
- A company is allowed to use the software campus wide.
- A user is allowed to share the software with friends.
- A user is allowed to install the software on only one computer.
13. What is the definition of cyber law?
- a single law defining criminal acts that are committed online
- the collection of international, country, and local laws that affect computer security professionals
- a contract that defines expectations between an organization and IT service vendors for an agreed upon level of support
- the process of collecting and analyzing data from computer systems, networks, wireless communications, and storage devices
14. Which two actions should a technician take if illegal content, such as child pornography, is discovered on the hard drive of a customer computer? (Choose two.)
- Confront the customer immediately.
- Remove and destroy the hard drive.
- Contact a first responder.
- Shut down the computer until authorities arrive.
- Document as much information as possible.
15. When performing computer forensics, what can be prevented with a properly and carefully documented chain of custody?
- evidence tampering
- copying of copyrighted materials
- cyber crime
- identity theft
16. When performing computer forensics what is required to prove a chain of custody?
- proper documentation procedures
- an admission of guilt
- collected evidence
- expert testimony
17. A technician has found possible illegal content on the hard drive of a customer computer. When should a computer forensics expert be brought in?
- immediately after the IT technician found the content
- after a system administrator has viewed the content
- after routine administrative tasks have been completed on the customer PC
- after the content is classified as illegal
18. A technician is analyzing a computer that may have been used for illegal activity. What are two examples of volatile data? (Choose two.)
- network connections that are open
- data that is located on an optical drive
- files available on an internal drive
- users who are logged in to the computer
- a USB drive that is connected to the computer
19. What should a level two technician do immediately after receiving an escalated work order from a level one technician?
- Call the level one technician and ask questions about the problem.
- Call the customer back to ask any additional questions and resolve the problem.
- Document suggestions to solve the problem in the work order and return it to the level one technician.
- Send the work order to a level three technician and ask for support.
20. What is a reason to escalate a problem from a level one technician to a level two technician?
- when the equipment needs to be rebooted
- when drivers, applications, or operating systems need to be installed
- when the screen resolution of a customer PC needs to be adjusted
- when a peripheral device needs to be replaced
21. What are three pieces of information a level one technician should gather from a customer? (Choose three.)
- contact information
- description of the problem
- details of any recent changes to the computer
- output from diagnostic software
- output from a remote connection to the customer computer
- current CMOS settings
22. Which situation would require that a support desk call be given the highest priority?
- The company cannot operate because of a system failure.
- A couple of computers have operating system errors.
- Some computers cannot log in to the network.
- Two users are requesting an application enhancement.
- A user is requesting a RAM memory upgrade.
23. When does a level one technician prepare an escalated work order?
- when a problem requires that the technician ask questions and document responses
- when a technician is able to answer the questions of the customer and solve the problem
- when a problem cannot be resolved within a predetermined amount of time
- when a technician must enter information using support software
24. Which statement best describes a call center?
- It is a busy, fast-paced work environment where agents contact customers to arrange preventive maintenance appointments.
- It is a help desk used by customers to make an appointment to report their computer problems.
- It is a place that exists within a company and provides computer support to both employees and customers of the company.
- It is a store-front environment where the customers go with their computers to have them fixed.