IT Essentials (Version 7.00) – IT Essentials 7.0 Chapter 14 exam Answers
1. What is a common responsibility of a level one call center technician?
- entering a concise description of a customer problem into a ticketing system
- remotely connecting to customer devices and implementing driver and software updates
- calling back customers and asking additional questions to solve the problem
- receiving escalated work orders from a lower level technician
2. Which two programming languages require the program to be converted into executable code using a compiler? (Choose two.)
3. A programmer used an operator to compare values within a program and the resulting logical data type was “false”. Which test condition would have provided the result of “false”?
- 8 != 8
- 4 >= 1
- 3 == 3
4. What is the definition of a script file?
- A simple file with a single statement that loops repeatedly.
- A file that is compiled and translated into machine language before executing.
- A simple text file used to automate processes and tasks.
- A file that is the output of a conditional statement.
5. A system administrator needs to perform manual updates on a remote Linux workstation using a Windows 10 PC. Which remote access tool should the administrator use to securely access and configure the Linux device across the network?
- Telnet client
- Windows Remote Desktop client
- Windows Remote Assistance client
- SSH client
6. A technician is attempting to securely configure a Linux web server on the public-facing side of the firewall. What port type and number are most likely required to be open on the firewall to allow this traffic through?
- UDP port 23
- TCP port 23
- TCP port 22
- UDP port 22
- TCP port 3389
- UDP port 3389
7. A worker in the records department of a hospital in the United States accidentally sends a patient’s medical record to a printer in another department. When the worker arrives at the printer, the patient record printout is missing. Which two types of compliance standards best match the breach of confidentiality? (Choose two.)
8. What are two examples of personally identifiable information (PII)? (Choose two.)
- credit card number
- first name
- street address
- language preference
- IP address
9. What is the definition of cyber law?
- a single law defining criminal acts that are committed online
- the collection of international, country, and local laws that affect computer security professionals
- a contract that defines expectations between an organization and IT service vendors for an agreed upon level of support
- the process of collecting and analyzing data from computer systems, networks, wireless communications, and storage devices
10. What is a characteristic of the open source license of an application software?
- It requires registration instead of purchasing.
- It cannot be used for campus-wide deployment.
- It allows users to modify and share the source code.
- It does not require purchase in order to use the software.
- It requires acknowledged completion of a professional training course prior to use.
11. Which statement is characteristic of most personal software licenses?
- Developers are allowed to modify and share the source code that runs the software.
- A company is allowed to use the software campus wide.
- A user is allowed to share the software with friends.
- A user is allowed to install the software on only one computer.
12. What two actions should a call center technician avoid when dealing with an angry customer? (Choose two.)
- spending time explaining what caused the problem
- putting the customer on hold or transferring the call
- apologizing for any inconvenience caused to the customer
- sympathizing with the customer
- letting the customer explain the problem without interruption
13. A technician is troubleshooting a PC in a workplace environment and finds many pirated movies on the hard drive. What should the technician do?
- Make a copy of all the pirated content and send it to the law enforcement authorities.
- Advise the user that downloading pirated content is illegal and that the user should refrain from doing so.
- Remove the pirated content and document all work done.
- Report the findings through the proper channels.
14. A support desk trainer is teaching a new support desk technician some basic rules about starting a conversation with a customer. Which statement describes the rules the trainer should be teaching?
- Ask the customer what the problem is and then introduce yourself.
- Learn the name of the customer and create a connection with the customer. Next ask questions that assess the knowledge level of the customer.
- Start by asking close-ended questions about what the customer understands of the problem and then direct the customer through the correction process.
- Assess what the customer knows of the support desk process and then use close-ended questions to guide the customer through the correction process.
15. A customer is angry and calls to complain that the service scheduled on the computer took longer than expected. The technician reviews the work order and notices that the service was performed by a new employee. How should the technician respond?
- Verify that the computer is working properly now.
- Listen to the complaint and then apologize for any inconvenience caused by the lengthy service on the computer.
- Explain that the repair technician sent to perform the service is inexperienced.
- Put the customer on hold until a supervisor is available.
16. Which task would require that a problem be escalated to a level two technician?
- changing CMOS settings
- cleaning a mouse
- changing toner cartridges
- checking loose external cables
17. A technician receives a call from a customer who is too talkative. How should the technician handle the call?
- Talk over the customer and quickly gather the necessary information to be of help.
- Allow the customer to speak without interruption and then try to use closed-ended questions to gather data.
- Use open-ended questions and repeat all the information back to the customer to politely show that unnecessary information is being given.
- Politely step in and gain control of the call by asking the customer social questions.
18. What should a level two technician do immediately after receiving an escalated work order from a level one technician?
- Call the level one technician and ask questions about the problem.
- Call the customer back to ask any additional questions and resolve the problem.
- Document suggestions to solve the problem in the work order and return it to the level one technician.
- Send the work order to a level three technician and ask for support.
19. Which two rules pertain to the general daily activities of employees in a call center environment? (Choose two.)
- If a technician takes a call from a customer the technician does not like, the technician should pass the call to another technician.
- The technician should be sure to treat all customers equally.
- If a customer complains about another technician, the technician who is taking the call should agree with opinion of the customer.
- The technician should adjust the work chair to a height that is high enough so that wrists angle downwards toward the keyboard.
- The technician should contact the customer if the technician is going to be late for a follow-up appointment.
20. What does a technician need in order to make changes to software installed on the computer of a customer?
- the authorization of a more senior technician
- customer authorization
- verification that the software is legal
- two witnesses
21. Which is true regarding the treatment of customer property?
- A technician does not have to care about copies of customer files because it is not the original.
- A customer’s phone list is customer property and must be kept private.
- Customer property is limited to hardware.
- Data left on a customer’s PC is not property because it is visible to others.
22. During computer forensics investigations, which type of data is lost when power is removed from the computer?
- data that is stored on solid state drives
- data that is stored in RAM
- data that is stored on magnetic disk
- data that is stored to an external drive
23. Why is a chain of custody important in a cyber crime case?
- It authenticates evidence.
- It ensures conviction
- It proves guilt.
- It protects copyrighted materials.
24. When performing computer forensics, what can be prevented with a properly and carefully documented chain of custody?
- evidence tampering
- copying of copyrighted materials
- cyber crime
- identity theft
25. Which statement best describes a call center?
- It is a busy, fast-paced work environment where agents contact customers to arrange preventive maintenance appointments.
- It is a help desk used by customers to make an appointment to report their computer problems.
- It is a place that exists within a company and provides computer support to both employees and customers of the company.
- It is a store-front environment where the customers go with their computers to have them fixed.
26. What is a typical task performed by a level one technician in a call center?
- gathering information when a customer calls for help
- solving the problem that might require opening up the computer case
- using remote access software to troubleshoot the customer computer
- picking up an escalated work order and calling the customer for further information
27. What is a reason to escalate a problem from a level one technician to a level two technician?
- when the equipment needs to be rebooted
- when drivers, applications, or operating systems need to be installed
- when the screen resolution of a customer PC needs to be adjusted
- when a peripheral device needs to be replaced
28. Which change management process component is concerned with the cost and resources necessary for implementation?
29. Which type of documentation is concerned with specifying what data must be collected and how long it must be retained in regards to an organization?
- user documentation
30. Which are two examples of good customer service? (Choose two.)
- A technician follows up with a customer after services are completed.
- A technician notifies a customer as soon as possible that there may be a delay.
- A technician repeatedly encourages a customer to agree to a product warranty.
- A technician continually reminds the customer that an issue was due to customer neglect.
- A technician speaks slowly and uses common industry jargon and terms with the customer.
IT Essentials v6.0:
1. A technician discovers that RAID has stopped working. Which two situations could cause this issue? (Choose two.)
- The external RAID controller loses power.
- The RAID controller fails.
- The cables connected to the hard drive are connected incorrectly.
- One of the hard drives fails.
- RAID has been configured incorrectly.
2. A technician is upgrading an older PC with a dual core CPU. When the PC restarts, it is slower than it was before the upgrade. The Performance tab from the Task Manager displays only one CPU graph. What is the most probable solution to this problem?
- Update the BIOS firmware to support the dual core CPU.
- Increase the amount of RAM available.
- Replace the HDD with a higher capacity hard drive.
- Overclock the CPU.
3. What is a symptom of a printer fuser that needs to be replaced?
- Toner is coming off printed pages.
- Paper is not feeding into the printer correctly.
- Pages are printing with ghost images.
- Vertical lines are printed on every page
4. What is a probable cause of a printer producing pages with ghost images?
- a worn drum wiper
- a damaged pickup roller
- not enough memory
- an incorrect print driver
5. What corrective action should be taken on a printer that prints unknown characters?
- Reinstall the driver.
- Increase the memory.
- Replace the drum wiper.
- Replace the fuser.
6. Users in an office complain that they are receiving “Document failed to print” messages when trying to print to a network printer. What is a likely problem?
- The printer toner is low.
- The printer drum is dirty.
- The printer is configured with an incorrect IP address.
- The printer does not have enough memory.
7. A user has not updated an application for over two years and has just updated to the newest release on the workstation. The user notices, however, that the software with the newest release is operating very slowly. The other applications on the workstation are operating normally. What is a possible cause?
- The BIOS needs to be updated.
- The computer has a virus.
- The computer does not have enough RAM.
- The workstation does not have a compatible driver installed.
8. A technician adds a new optical drive to a computer but the optical drive is not recognized by the computer. The technician thinks that the BIOS firmware needs to be updated and updates the CMOS. However, the computer fails to start. What is a possible solution?
- Download a different set of drivers for the newly installed hardware.
- Contact the motherboard manufacturer to obtain a new CMOS chip.
- Attach external power to the newly installed hardware.
- Change the boot order in the BIOS to include the optical drive.
9. A computer repeatedly locks without any error message. Which two conditions may be the cause of the problem? (Choose two.)
- The index service is not running.
- The computer has a virus.
- An update has corrupted the operating system.
- The UAC has been turned off.
- The user has breached the user security policy.
- The CPU needs to be upgraded.
10. What usually causes the BSOD in the Windows OS?
- CPU overheating
- a fragmented hard drive
- insufficient RAM
- device driver compatibility errors
11. A user reports that WiFi is not working on a laptop. A technician checks the laptop and notices that the wireless networking icon is missing from the notification area of the task bar. The technician tries to turn the wireless switch on the laptop on and off. However, the wireless NIC is still not displayed. What should be done next to troubleshoot this issue?
- Replace the NIC with one that is known to work.
- Configure wireless networking in the System Information tool.
- Add the NIC to the system in the Devices and Printers control panel.
- Activate the NIC in the BIOS or UEFI settings.
12. What are two reasons that a workstation would begin to lock up frequently? (Choose two.)
- failing RAM
- an overheating CPU
- an incorrect display setting
- indexing service running too long
- issues with the uninstallation of an application
13. A PC is not able to connect to a wired network. Pinging the loopback address is successful, but the gateway cannot be reached. On the network switch all the interface lights are on, except for the interface connected to the PC. The LED on the network card is off. What is the most likely cause of this problem?
- The gateway needs to be fixed.
- The network cable is faulty.
- The network switch is faulty.
- The PC has an incorrect IP address for the DNS server.
14. Users in a recently installed wireless network are complaining of slow data transfer and frequent loss of connectivity. The technician checks that the wireless security is correctly implemented, and there is no evidence of unauthorized users on the network. Which two problems might the technician suspect? (Choose two.)
- There is interference from outside sources.
- The DHCP server is faulty.
- The wireless signal is too weak.
- The antenna on the access point is too powerful.
- The network passwords need to be reissued to the users.
15. A user can send email to other people in the office successful but is unable to receive any email. What is a possible cause of this issue?
- The computer has incorrect POP3 or IMAP settings.
- The computer has incorrect SMTP settings.
- The computer has a full outbox.
- The computer has a wrong username or password configured to receive email.
16. ipconfig, the technician notices that all of them have an IP address in the 169.254.x.x range. What is the most likely cause of this problem?
- The Internet connection is down.
- The DHCP server is not operational.
- The gateway address is incorrect.
- The DNS server is not operational.
17. Which network server is malfunctioning if a user can ping the IP address of a web server but cannot ping the web server host name?
- the DNS server
- the DHCP server
- the FTP server
- the HTTP server
18. What command can a technician use on a computer to see if DNS is functioning properly?
- net share
- net use
19. An administrator deploys wireless access points across the office to provide wireless network connectivity to users. Each workstation receives an IP address via DHCP. After a file server with a static IP is connected to the wired network, the administrator receives an IP address conflict message. What is a possible solution?
- Restart the DHCP server.
- Change the IP address of the file server with the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew commands.
- Change the static IP configured on the file server.
- Connect the file server to the wireless network.
20. A computer displays this message when the computer boots: “MBR has been changed or modified.” What could cause this problem?
- A boot sector virus has altered the master boot record.
- A virus has altered the Windows kernel.
- The CMOS battery has failed.
- A RAM module is not fully inserted into the memory slot.
21. A technician is troubleshooting a Windows 7 laptop infected with a virus that has damaged the master boot record. The technician has booted the laptop using the installation media and is attempting to repair the laptop from the command line interface. Which two commands can the technician use to repair the corrupt master boot record? (Choose two.)
- bootrec /fixboot
- bootrec /fixmbr
22. A user reports that all of the software applications operate very slowly every day around 9:30 a.m. A couple of hours later, the computer operates normally for the rest of the day. What is the most likely cause?
- The computer is infected with a virus or malware.
- The computer network is experiencing congestion at those times.
- The computer is being scanned by the antivirus software on a specified schedule.
- The computer is missing a required driver.
23. A group of users is unable to connect to the network. When testing several of the PCs and issuing the command ipconfig, the technician notices that all of them have an IP address in the 169.254.x.x range. What is the most likely cause of this problem?
- The DHCP server is not operational.
- The gateway address is incorrect.
- The Internet connection is down.
- The DNS server is not operational.
- Navigation Bar