IT Essentials 8.0 Module 184.108.40.206 Preventive Maintenance and Troubleshooting Quiz Answers
1. Which cleaning tool should be used to remove dust from components inside a computer case?
- compressed air
- cotton swabs
- damp cloth
2. After a problem is identified, what is the next step for the troubleshooter?
- Establish a theory of probable causes.
- Determine the exact cause.
- Implement a solution.
- Document the findings.
- Verify the solution.
3. Which procedure is recommended when cleaning inside a computer?
- Remove the CPU before cleaning.
- Hold the CPU fan to prevent it from spinning and blow it with compressed air.
- Clean the hard drive heads with a cotton swab.
- Invert the can of compressed air while spraying.
4. Which task should be performed on a hard drive as part of a preventive maintenance plan?
- Clean the read and write heads with a cotton swab.
- Ensure cables are firmly connected.
- Ensure the disk spins freely.
- Blow out the inside of the drive with compressed air to remove dust.
5. A scientific expedition team is using laptops for their work. The temperatures where the scientists are working range from -13 degrees Fahrenheit (-25 degree Celsius) to 80 degrees Fahrenheit (27 degrees Celsius). The humidity level is around 40 percent. Noise levels are low, but the terrain is rough and winds can reach 45 miles per hour (72 kilometers per hour). When needed, the scientists stop walking and enter the data using the laptop. Which condition is most likely to adversely affect a laptop that is used in this environment?
- the temperature
- the humidity
- the rough terrain
- the wind
6. What is a symptom of a failing power supply?
- The computer sometimes does not turn on.
- The display has only a blinking cursor.
- The computer displays a POST error code.
- The power cord will not attach properly to either the power supply or wall outlet or both.
7. An employee mentions that opening a large document file is taking longer than usual. The desktop support technician suspects that there might be a fault in the hard disk. What should the technician do next?
- Perform the disk cleanup procedure.
- Back up the user data from the workstation.
- Contact a data recovery company for service.
- Replace the hard disk with a new one to pinpoint the exact problem.
8. Which task should be part of a hardware maintenance routine?
- Review security updates.
- Update virus definition files.
- Adjust the monitor for optimum resolution.
- Remove dust from inside the hard drive.
- Check for and secure any loose cables.
9. A user has opened a ticket that indicates that the computer clock keeps losing the correct time. What is the most likely cause of the problem?
- The motherboard clocking crystal is damaged.
- The operating system needs to be patched.
- The CMOS battery is loose or failing.
- The CPU needs to be overclocked.
10. What task should be completed before escalating a problem to a higher-level technician?
- Document each test that was tried.
- Ask the customer to open a new support request.
- Redo each test to ensure the accuracy of the results.
- Replace all hardware components with components that are known to work.
11. What are two effects of not having a preventive maintenance plan for users and organizations? (Choose two.)
- increased repair costs
- increased number of regular updates
- increased downtime
- increased management tasks
- increased documentation needs
12. What is the most important reason for a company to ensure that computer preventive maintenance is done?
- Preventive maintenance provides an opportunity for junior technicians to obtain more experience in a non-threatening or problem environment.
- Preventive maintenance helps to protect the computer equipment against future problems.
- Preventive maintenance allows the IT department to regularly monitor the contents of user hard drives to ensure computer use policies are being followed.
- Preventive maintenance enables the IT manager to check on the location and state of the computer assets.
13. Which step in the troubleshooting process is important to help avoid repeating repair processes that were performed previously?
- identification of the problem
- implementation of the solution
- documentation of the problem and its solution
- preparation of a plan of action