22.214.171.124 Lab – Remote Technician – Fix a Security Problem (Answers)
You will gather data from the customer to begin the troubleshooting process. You will document the customer’s problem and possible solution in the work order.
Answers Note: You must prepare a wireless router for this activity by modifying a MAC address in the MAC address filter table and then saving the incorrect configuration. The instructions for modifying a MAC address in the filter table are below.
- Ensure that all computers are able to connect to the wireless router with basic security and with MAC address filtering configured.
- Connect an Ethernet cable from an Ethernet port on the wireless router to the computer which manages the router (known as the management computer for the purposes of this lab).
- On the management computer, open Internet Explorer and connect to http://192.168.1.1. (or the administration address of your wireless router) and log in. The management interface should display in the browser.
- Navigate to the wireless settings to access wireless MAC filter.
- Locate in the table the MAC address of the computers you wish to deny access. Remove the MAC address from the filter list for all lab computers. This will prevent the lab computer from connecting to the wireless router.
- Save the settings.
Student Technician Sheet
|Company Name:||Smith Lumber Supply|
|Company Address:||1234 S. Main Street|
Generating a New Ticket
|Item:||N/A||Pending Until Date:||N/A|
|Business Impacting?||X Yes||O No|
|Summary||Customer cannot use laptop wireless connection at work.|
|Case ID#:||102||Connection Type:||Wireless|
|User Platform:||Windows 7|
Customer’s wireless connection does not work in any location at the work place. The customer can use wireless connection at home and other places.
The access point is working correctly. The customer’s network login is working correctly. The customer’s wireless card is operating properly. The configuration of the new wireless router must be verified. The MAC address of the customer’s computer is verified with the command “ipconfig /all”. The MAC address filter has incorrect settings for the customer’s computer. The customer’s MAC address has been added to the MAC address filter list on the wireless router and settings saved. The customer can now connect wirelessly.
Student Customer Sheet
Use the contact information and problem description below to report the following information to a level-two technician:
Company Name: Smith Lumber Supply
Contact: James Smith
Company Address: 1234 S. Main Street
You are unable to use your laptop’s wireless connection while at work. The wireless connection works fine at home and the coffee shop downstairs, but for some reason, it will not connect to the wireless anywhere in the office. Since you are unable to access the wireless connection, you have been using the Ethernet cable connection instead. The cable connection is working fine.
Note: After you have given the problem description, use the Additional Information to answer any follow up questions your lab partner may ask.
- Windows 7
- Wireless client can see the wireless network
- My wireless connection worked yesterday at work
- I can connect using an Ethernet cable
- My wireless account is in good standing
- Wireless connection works for other employees
- I have not made any changes to my wireless security settings• A new wireless router was installed on the network yesterday