1. Which task should be part of a hardware maintenance routine?
- Update virus definition files.
- Check for and secure any loose cables.
- Review security updates.
- Adjust the monitor for optimum resolution.
- Remove dust from inside the hard drive.
2. A scientific expedition team is using laptops for their work. The temperatures where the scientists are working range from -13 degrees Fahrenheit (-25 degree Celsius) to 80 degrees Fahrenheit (27 degrees Celsius). The humidity level is around 40 percent. Noise levels are low, but the terrain is rough and winds can reach 45 miles per hour (72 kilometers per hour). When needed, the scientists stop walking and enter the data using the laptop. Which condition is most likely to adversely affect a laptop that is used in this environment?
- the rough terrain
- the wind
- the humidity
- the temperature
3. Which task should be performed on a hard drive as part of a preventive maintenance plan?
- Ensure the disk spins freely.
- Ensure cables are firmly connected.
- Blow out the inside of the drive with compressed air to remove dust.
- Clean the read and write heads with a cotton swab.
4. An employee mentions that opening a large document file is taking longer than usual. The desktop support technician suspects that there might be a fault in the hard disk. What should the technician do next?
- Perform the disk cleanup procedure.
- Replace the hard disk with a new one to pinpoint the exact problem.
- Back up the user data from the workstation.
- Contact a data recovery company for service.
5. What task should be completed before escalating a problem to a higher-level technician?
- Replace all hardware components with components that are known to work.
- Redo each test to ensure the accuracy of the results.
- Document each test that was tried.
- Ask the customer to open a new support request.
6. What is the most important reason for a company to ensure that computer preventive maintenance is done?
- Preventive maintenance enables the IT manager to check on the location and state of the computer assets.
- Preventive maintenance helps to protect the computer equipment against future problems.
- Preventive maintenance provides an opportunity for junior technicians to obtain more experience in a non-threatening or problem environment.
- Preventive maintenance allows the IT department to regularly monitor the contents of user hard drives to ensure computer use policies are being followed.
7. What is a symptom of a failing power supply?
- The computer sometimes does not turn on.
- The display has only a blinking cursor.
- The power cord will not attach properly to either the power supply or wall outlet or both.
- The computer displays a POST error code.
8. A customer reports that recently several files cannot be accessed. The service technician decides to check the hard disk status and the file system structure. The technician asks the customer if a backup has been performed on the disk and the customer replies that the backup was done a week ago to a different logical partition on the disk. What should the technician do before performing diagnostic procedures on the disk?
- Run the CHKDSK utility.
- Perform file restore from the existing backup copy at the logical partition.
- Install a new hard disk as the primary disk, then make the current disk a slave.
- Back up the user data to a removable drive.
9. Which cleaning tool should be used to remove dust from components inside a computer case?
- cotton swabs
- compressed air
10. Which step in the troubleshooting process is important to help avoid repeating repair processes that were performed previously?
- implementation of the solution
- identification of the problem
- documentation of the problem and its solution
- preparation of a plan of action
11. After a problem is identified, what is the next step for the troubleshooter?
- Implement a solution.
- Establish a theory of probable causes.
- Document the findings.
- Verify the solution.
- Determine the exact cause.
12. What are two effects of not having a preventive maintenance plan for users and organizations? (Choose two.)
- increased documentation needs
- increased management tasks
- increased repair costs
- increased number of regular updates
- increased downtime
13. A user has opened a ticket that indicates that the computer clock keeps losing the correct time. What is the most likely cause of the problem?
- The CMOS battery is loose or failing.
- The operating system needs to be patched.
- The CPU needs to be overclocked.
- The motherboard clocking crystal is damaged.
14. Which procedure is recommended when cleaning inside a computer?
- Invert the can of compressed air while spraying.
- Hold the CPU fan to prevent it from spinning and blow it with compressed air.
- Remove the CPU before cleaning.
- Clean the hard drive heads with a cotton swab.