Module 2.3.3 Data Link Layer Quiz Answers
Network Addressing and Basic Troubleshooting – Module 2.3.3 Data Link Layer Quiz Answers
1. A school is adding 10 computers to a classroom. What is the most common physical network topology that is used in a classroom?
- extended star
2. Which media access method requires that an end device send a notification across the media before sending data?
- token passing
3. An enterprise has four branches. The headquarters needs full connectivity to all branches. The branches do not need to be connected directly to each other. Which WAN topology is most suitable?
- full mesh
- hub and spoke
4. What is a characteristic of CSMA/CA that differs from CSMA/CD?
- CSMA/CA is suitable for networks with token ring topology.
- An end device sends a notification across the media before it sends a data frame.
- No collisions can exist within a local CSMA/CA network.
- CSMA/CA is a deterministic access method that controls use of the network.
5. Which statement correctly describes the operation of CSMA/CD?
- The end device waits until it receives a token then transmits the data.
- The end device waits until there is no carrier signal, transmits a token, then transmits the data.
- The end device waits until there are no data signals then transmits the data while listening for collisions.
- The end device waits until there are no data signals, sends a notification that it is going to use the media, then transmits the data.
6. Which topology type describes the process that hosts use to access and communicate on a network?
7. How does a device use CSMA/CA technology to avoid collisions?
- It monitors the media and only begins to transmit when the media is free.
- It sends a notification before transmitting when the media is free.
- It uses a full-duplex channel for communication.
- It waits for a token before transmitting.
8. On a point-to-point network, which communication type is used when two devices can both transmit and receive but not at the same time?
- controlled access
9. A dental office provides a WLAN in the waiting area for patients to access the Internet. The WLAN is equipped with a wireless router that connects to the Internet through a cable connection. Which data transmission mode is used by wireless devices?
10. Which LAN topology requires a central intermediate device to connect end devices?
11. What is used on WLANs to avoid packet collisions?
12. What is the first step in the CSMA/CA process when a wireless client is attempting to communicate on the wireless network?
- The client listens for traffic on the channel.
- The client sends an RTS message to the AP.
- The AP sends a CTS message to the client.
- The client sends a test frame onto the channel.