1. Which two operating systems can be upgraded to Windows XP Home? (Choose two.)
- Windows 95
- Windows 3.1
- Windows 98*
- Windows 98 SE
- Windows NT workstation*
2. A customer using a Windows XP computer is complaining that a new card reader is not working. A technician tests the card reader on a Windows 7 computer and does not detect any problems. What are two possible solutions to the problem with the XP computer? (Choose two.)
- Install additional RAM.
- Modify the options in the BIOS.
- Install the driver from the CD provided with the card reader.*
- Download and install the driver from the manufacturer of the card reader.*
- Update the CMOS firmware.
3. A technician is replacing an internal hard drive used as a secondary drive on a PC. After connecting the new hardware and powering up the computer, an “OS not found” error message is displayed. What is the most probable cause for that error message?
- The power supply is faulty.
- The hard drive jumper is set incorrectly.*
- The motherboard needs replacing to be able to support the new hard drive.
- The USB port has too many attached devices to supply adequate power.
- The BIOS needs updating.
4. A technician is upgrading an older PC with a dual core CPU. When the PC restarts, it is slower than it was before the upgrade. The Performance tab from the Task Manager displays only one CPU graph. What is the most probable solution to this problem?
- Replace the HDD with a higher capacity hard drive.
- Overclock the CPU.
- Increase the amount of RAM available.
- Update the BIOS firmware to support the dual core CPU.*
5. A laptop that is running Windows XP displays “Missing NTLDR” after the POST. What are the two most probable reasons for this problem? (Choose two.)
- Boot.ini is missing or damaged.*
- There is a conflict with a newly installed device.
- BOOTMGR has been corrupted.
- The boot order is not set correctly in the BIOS.*
- The index service is not indexing in the correct locations.
6. Several times during the last few days, a user has experienced the Blue Screen of Death when plugging an external hard drive into a laptop via USB. What is a possible solution for this problem?
- Reinstall the operating system.
- Upgrade the operating system.
- Research the STOP error and the name of the module that produced the error.*
- Research the boot error beep code to identify the source of the error.
7. A computer repeatedly locks without any error message. Which two conditions may be the cause of the problem? (Choose two.)
- The UAC has been turned off.
- The user has breached the user security policy.
- The computer has a virus.*
- The index service is not running.
- The CPU needs to be upgraded.
- An update has corrupted the operating system.*
8. What are two possible solutions to any Windows computer restarting continuously and never displaying the desktop? (Choose two.)
- Upgrade the processor.
- Upgrade the video card.
- Press F8 to open the Advanced Options menu and choose Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure.*
- Reset the hard drive jumpers.
- Run chkdsk /F /R from the recovery console.*
- Access the BIOS and change the boot order options.
9. A PC is not able to connect to a wired network. Pinging the loopback address is successful, but the gateway cannot be reached. On the network switch all the interface lights are on, except for the interface connected to the PC. The LED on the network card is off. What is the most likely cause of this problem?
- The network switch is faulty.
- The gateway needs to be fixed.
- The network cable is faulty.*
- The PC has an incorrect IP address for the DNS server.
10. Users in a recently installed wireless network are complaining of slow data transfer and frequent loss of connectivity. The technician checks that the wireless security is correctly implemented, and there is no evidence of unauthorized users on the network. Which two problems might the technician suspect? (Choose two.)
- The wireless signal is too weak.*
- The DHCP server is faulty.
- There is interference from outside sources.*
- The antenna on the access point is too powerful.
- The network passwords need to be reissued to the users.
11. A group of users is unable to connect to the network. When testing several of the PCs and issuing the command ipconfig, the technician notices that all of them have an IP address in the 169.254.x.x range. What is the most likely cause of this problem?
- The DNS server is not operational.
- The Internet connectiion is down.
- The gateway address is incorrect.
- The DHCP server is not operational.*
12. A technician is working on a laptop that has a dark display. After attaching an external display and verifying that it works, the technician now has a better idea as to the problem. What could be the problem?
- The display driver is incorrect.
- The motherboard has failed.
- The CPU has failed.
- The power inverter of the LCD screen or backlight lamp has failed.*
13. A technician replaces a laptop keyboard that was no longer functioning, and has verified that the newly replaced keyboard functions properly. What is the final step the technician should take as part of the troubleshooting process?
- Ask a list of closed-ended questions.
- Research the problem.
- Document all findings, actions, and outcomes.*
- Implement preventive measures.
14. A user complains that when a page is printed on a laser printer, the page smears when touched. What is a possible cause of this issue?
- The laser assembly is faulty.
- The EP drum is damaged.
- The pickup rollers are defective.
- The fuser has failed.*
15. A technician finds that occasionally when a network printer is restarted, clients are unable to print to it, receiving a “Document failed to print” message. What is a probable cause of this?
- The drum is damaged.
- The printer does not have enough memory.
- The toner level in the EP cartridge is low.
- The power supply on the printer is failing.
- The printer is configured to get an IP address using DHCP.*
16. A user complains that a printer is outputting random characters instead of the desired document. What is a probable cause of this?
- There is dirt or debris in the printer.
- The printer does not have enough memory.
- The pickup rollers are defective.
- An incorrect print driver is installed.*
17. A freshly installed Windows 7 laptop is plugged into the network and configured with an IP address. The technician then attempts to ping the laptop from another computer. While the laptop is able to connect to other devices, the ping requests fail. What is the likely cause?
- The network drivers for the NIC are out of date.
- The port speed for the NIC is incorrect.
- TPM must be enabled.
- The Windows Firewall is blocking ping requests.*
18. A computer displays this message when the computer boots: “MBR has been changed or modified.” What could cause this problem?
- The CMOS battery has failed.
- A RAM module is not fully inserted into the memory slot.
- A virus has altered the Windows kernel.
- A boot sector virus has altered the master boot record.*
19. Users are complaining that they are receiving spam from the email account that belongs to a co-worker. What could cause this problem?
- A virus has damaged the master boot record on the system that is used by the co-worker.
- The network adapter on the computer that is used by the co-worker is malfunctioning.
- The email account belonging to the co-worker was hijacked because of malware.*
- The email client belonging to the co-worker is not configured properly.
20. A technician is troubleshooting a laptop that has the power light on and the hard drive spinning. However, the laptop only displays vertical lines that change color. What is the problem?
- The BIOS is corrupt.
- The LCD screen has failed.*
- The backlight lamp has failed.
- The LCD screen inverter has failed.
21. A technician is troubleshooting a laser printer that outputs blank paper for all print jobs including printer test pages. What is a probable cause?
- The laser printer does not have adequate memory.
- The drum is failing to hold a charge.*
- The drum wiper blade is worn.
- The fuser has failed.
23. A technician arrives and asks a customer, “Can you describe the problem?” The customer replies, “All email messages that I send have the wrong date. I have restarted the computer several times, but this does not seem to help.”
What could be the problem?
- The MBR is corrupted.
- The CPU voltage is set too low.
- The CMOS battery has failed.*
- The hard drive is beginning to fail.
24. A technician is troubleshooting a Windows 7 laptop infected with a virus that has damaged the master boot record. The technician has booted the laptop using the installation media and is attempting to repair the laptop from the command line interface. Which two commands can the technician use to repair the corrupt master boot record? (Choose two.)
- bootrec /fixboot*
- bootrec /fixmbr*