Final-Exam: Network Addressing and Basic Troubleshooting Final Exam Answers (Course Final Exam)
1. Match each item to the type of topology diagram on which it is typically identified.
2. Refer to the exhibit. The IP address of which device interface should be used as the default gateway setting of host H1?
- R1: G0/0
- R2: S0/0/1
- R2: S0/0/0
- R1: S0/0/0
3. What are two advantages of using fiber-optic cabling to interconnect devices? (Choose two.)
- Fiber-optic cables can extend several miles.
- Fiber-optic cable is immune from EMI and RFI.
- Fiber-optic cables are easy to install..
- Fiber-optic cables are commonly found in both homes and small businesses.
- Fiber-optic cables use extra shielding to protect copper wires.
4. Which statement is true about the CSMA/CD access method that is used in Ethernet?
- When a device hears a carrier signal and transmits, a collision cannot occur.
- All network devices must listen before transmitting.
- A jamming signal causes only devices that caused the collision to execute a backoff algorithm.
- Devices involved in a collision get priority to transmit after the backoff period.
5. Which two characteristics describe the use of a logical topology? (Choose two.)
- showing the physical connections of end devices
- identifying the interconnection of routers and switches
- describing the infrastructure
- identifying the virtual connections between devices
- identifying the type of media access control used
- identifying cable length requirements
6. Which command can be used on a Windows host to display the routing table?
- show ip route
- netstat –r
- netstat –s
7. Refer to the exhibit. Consider the IP address configuration shown from PC1. What is a description of the default gateway address?
- It is the IP address of the Router1 interface that connects the PC1 LAN to Router1.
- It is the IP address of the Router1 interface that connects the company to the Internet.
- It is the IP address of Switch1 that connects PC1 to other devices on the same LAN.
- It is the IP address of the ISP network device located in the cloud.
8. Match the characteristics to the correct type of fiber.
9. A user can access a file share resource on a server located in the same office but cannot access the internet. What is the possible cause?
- The IPv4 address and subnet mask are misconfigured on the PC.
- The default gateway address is misconfigured on the PC.
- The switch is malfunctioning.
- The DHCP server is disconnected.
10. Which statement describes the operation of devices accessing an Ethernet network?
- Each device monitors the media and sends a notification for its intention to send data first.
- To send data, each device waits for a token to be available.
- Each device monitors the media and sends data when the media is free.
- Each device in turn receives a frame. If the frame is not intended for the device, the device passes it along.
11. A PC has sent an RS message to an IPv6 router attached to the same network. Which two pieces of information will the router send to the client? (Choose two.)
- subnet mask in dotted decimal notation
- administrative distance
- domain name
- prefix length
- DNS server IP address
12. Which two types of messages are used in place of ARP for address resolution in IPv6? (Choose two.)
- echo reply
- neighbor solicitation
- neighbor advertisement
- echo request
13. A site administrator has been told that a particular network at the site must accommodate 126 hosts. Which subnet mask would be used that contains the required number of host bits?
14. An IPv6 enabled device sends a data packet with the destination address of FF02::1. What is the target of this packet?
- only IPv6 configured routers
- only IPv6 DHCP servers
- all IPv6 enabled devices on the local link or network
- the one IPv6 device on the link that has been uniquely configured with this address
15. What are two services provided by IPv6 neighbor discovery protocol? (Choose two.)
- maximum IPv6 packet size for end-to-end transmission
- IPv6 dynamic routing
- domain name resolving
- router discovery
- address resolution
16. Match the ICMPv6 messages to the description.
17. A network administrator is assigned the 172.16.0.0/24 block of addresses to use in designing an IP addressing scheme. The administrator submits this design for approval:
What should be the response from the senior network engineer regarding this design?
- This design is flawed because the 172.16.0.96/26 network is not a valid block of addresses.
- This design is flawed because the 172.16.0.96/26 network overlaps with other addresses.
- This design is flawed because no design could have two networks that use a /26 mask and are not consecutive blocks of addresses.
- This design is flawed because the 172.16.0.128/27 network number is invalid.
- This design will work for the branch office.
18. What is the prefix for the host address 2001:DB8:BC15:A:12AB::1/64?
19. Match the network with the correct IP address and prefix that will satisfy the usable host addressing requirements for each network.
20. IPv6 host A is communicating with a remote IPv6 host B. Which device would send ICMPv6 redirect messages to inform that a better next-hop device should be used?
- Host A
- a router in the traffic path
- the switch connected to Host A
- Host B
- the switch connected to Host B
21. Which two statements correctly describe the components of a router? (Choose two.)
- ROM contains diagnostics executed on hardware modules.
- NVRAM stores a backup copy of the IOS used during the boot sequence.
- Flash memory does not lose its contents during a reboot.
- RAM permanently stores the configuration file used during the boot sequence.
- ROM contains the most current and most complete version of the IOS.
- Flash contains boot system commands to identify the location of the IOS.
22. Match the phases to the functions during the boot up process of a Cisco router.
23. A workstation connected to an Ethernet switch port is experiencing connectivity problems. The network technician chooses to use the bottom-up troubleshooting method to identify the issue. What are two possible causes of physical layer network problems that the technician should check? (Choose two.)
- logical addressing issues
- incorrect MAC address assigned
- cables plugged into wrong ports
- incorrect subnet mask on an interface
- improperly terminated cables
- packets received out of sequence
24. A production switch is reloaded and finishes with a Switch> prompt. What two facts can be determined? (Choose two.)
- The switch did not locate the Cisco IOS in flash, so it defaulted to ROM.
- The boot process was interrupted.
- A full version of the Cisco IOS was located and loaded.
- There is not enough RAM or flash on this router.
- POST occurred normally.
25. A user is complaining that an external web page is taking longer than normal to load.The web page does eventually load on the user machine. Which tool should the technician use with administrator privileges in order to locate where the issue is in the network?
- ipconfig /displaydns
26. What are two characteristics of RAM on a Cisco device? (Choose two.)
- RAM is able to store multiple versions of IOS and configuration files.
- The configuration that is actively running on the device is stored in RAM.
- The contents of RAM are lost during a power cycle.
- RAM provides nonvolatile storage.
- RAM is a component in Cisco switches but not in Cisco routers.
27. An ISP help desk technician receives a call from a customer who reports that no one at their business can reach any websites or get their e-mail. After testing the communication line and finding everything fine, the technician instructs the customer to run nslookup from the command prompt. What does the technician suspect is causing the customer’s problem?
- improper IP address configuration on the host
- failure of DNS to resolve names to IP addresses
- hardware failure of the ISR used to connect the customer to the ISP
- bad cables or connections at the customer site
28. Which information does the show startup-config command display?
- the contents of the current running configuration file in the RAM
- the IOS image copied into RAM
- the bootstrap program in the ROM
- the contents of the saved configuration file in the NVRAM
29. What is true concerning physical and logical topologies?
- Physical topologies are concerned with how a network transfers frames.
- The logical topology is always the same as the physical topology.
- Physical topologies display the IP addressing scheme of each network.
- Logical topologies refer to how a network transfers data between devices.
30. After making configuration changes on a Cisco switch, a network administrator issues a copy running-config startup-config command. What is the result of issuing this command?
- The configuration changes will be removed and the original configuration will be restored.
- The new configuration will be stored in flash memory.
- The current IOS file will be replaced with the newly configured file.
- The new configuration will be loaded if the switch is restarted.
31. In the OSI model, what three functional areas are addressed by physical layer standards? (Choose three.)
- frame encapsulation
- error detection and retransmission
- physical components
- media access control
32. Which two types of signal interference are reduced more by STP than by UTP? (Choose two.)
- white noise
33. An IPv6 host receives an ICMPv6 message requesting MAC address resolution. Which message should the host return to provide the MAC address?
- neighbor solicitation message
- neighbor advertisement message
- router advertisement message
- router solicitation message
34. A technician must accommodate at least 500 subnets from address 172.16.0.0/16. What is an appropriate subnet mask and corresponding number of available host IP addresses per subnet to meet the requirement?
- 255.255.255.192 and 126 hosts
- 255.255.255.0 and 128 hosts
- 255.255.255.128 and 126 hosts
- 255.255.255.224 and 128 hosts
35. What is the interface ID of the IPv6 address 2001:DB8::1000:A9CD:47FF:FE57:FE94/64?
36. What would be the interface ID of an IPv6 enabled interface with a MAC address of 1C-6F-65-C2-BD-F8 when the interface ID is generated by using the EUI-64 process?
37. Which troubleshooting tool can be used to determine the current TCP open connections on a PC?
38. A group of Windows PCs in a new subnet has been added to an Ethernet network. When testing the connectivity, a technician finds that these PCs can access local network resources but not the Internet resources. To troubleshoot the problem, the technician wants to initially confirm the IP address and DNS configurations on the PCs, and also verify connectivity to the local router. Which three Windows CLI commands and utilities will provide the necessary information? (Choose three.)
- netsh interface ipv6 show neighbor
- arp -a
39. Refer to the exhibit. PC1 is unable to access PC2. To troubleshoot this problem, the technician needs to confirm that the next hop interface is operational. Which default gateway address should the technician ping from PC1 to confirm this?
40. Refer to the exhibit. An IT consulting firm is helping a mid-sized marketing and advertising company for updating the campus network. Which three network design features are covered in the diagram? (Choose three.)
- flow of information in the network including addressing
- network devices that might be needed
- network segmentation
- data packet routing and protocol needs
- IP network subnetting consideration
- locations of network devices in the company
41. Refer to the exhibit. Using VLSM, what is the largest and smallest subnet mask required on this network, including the links between routers, in order to minimize address waste?
- 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.255.252
- 255.255.254.0 and 255.255.255.252
- 255.255.255.128 and 255.255.255.224
- 255.255.254.0 and 255.255.255.224
42. IPv6 host A is sending a neighbor solicitation message to IPv6 host B on the same Ethernet network. Which statement describes the destination MAC address host A uses to build the Ethernet frame of the neighbor solicitation message?
- It maps the special braodcast address reserved for neighbor discovery protocol.
- It maps the special solicited-node multicast address of the destination IPv6 address.
- It maps the special IPv6 unicast address reserved for neighbor discovery protocol.
- It maps the special address from the router advertisement message.
43. Refer to the exhibit. Considering the addresses already used and having to remain within the 10.16.10.0/24 network range, which subnet address could be assigned to the network containing 25 hosts?
44. Which IPv6 prefix is reserved for communication between devices on the same link?
45. Refer to the exhibit. A user has configured a NIC on the PC as shown but finds that the PC is unable to access the Internet. What is the problem?
- There should not be an alternate DNS server.
- The preferred DNS address is incorrect.
- The default gateway address is incorrect.
- The settings were not validated upon exit.
46. Which type of static route creates a gateway of last resort?
- standard static route
- floating static route
- summary static route
- default static route
47. Refer to the exhibit. The PC is connected to the console port of the switch. All the other connections are made through FastEthernet links. Which types of UTP cables can be used to connect the devices?
1 – rollover, 2 – crossover, 3 – straight-through
1 – rollover, 2 – straight-through, 3 – crossover
1 – crossover, 2 – rollover, 3 – straight-through
1 – crossover, 2 – straight-through, 3 – rollover
48. Consider the following command:
ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.2 5
Which route would have to go down in order for this static route to appear in the routing table?
- a default route
- a static route to the 192.168.10.0/24 network
- an EIGRP-learned route to the 192.168.10.0/24 network
- an OSPF-learned route to the 192.168.10.0/24 network
49. A technician has been asked to develop a physical topology for a network that provides a high level of availability. Which physical topology requires that every node is attached to every other node on the network?
50. What type of communication rule would best describe CSMA/CD?
- message encoding
- flow control
- access method
- message encapsulation
51. What are three parts of an IPv6 global unicast address? (Choose three.)
- a global routing prefix that is used to identify the network portion of the address that has been provided by an ISP
- an interface ID that is used to identify the local network for a particular host
- a global routing prefix that is used to identify the portion of the network address provided by a local administrator
- a subnet ID that is used to identify networks inside of the local enterprise site
- an interface ID that is used to identify the local host on the network
52. Match the characteristic with the appropriate copper media.