Operating Systems Basics – 1.5.2 Quiz: The Windows Operating System
1. What is the function of the kernel of an operating system?
- It provides a user interface that allows users to request a specific task.
- The kernel links the hardware drivers with the underlying electronics of a computer.
- It is an application that allows the initial configuration of a Cisco device.
- The kernel provisions hardware resources to meet software requirements.
2. What technology was created to replace the BIOS program on modern personal computer motherboards?
3. What term is used to describe a logical drive that can be formatted to store data?
4. Which command is used to manually query a DNS server to resolve a specific host name?
- ipconfig / displaydns
5. Which user account should be used only to perform system management and not as the account for regular use?
- power user
- standard user
6. What utility is used to show the system resources consumed by each user?
- Task Manager
- User Accounts
- Event Viewer
- Device Manager
7. When a user makes changes to the settings of a Windows system, where are these changes stored?
- Control Panel
8. For security reasons a network administrator needs to ensure that local computers cannot ping each other. Which settings can accomplish this task?
- file system settings
- MAC address settings
- firewall settings
- smartcard settings
9. A user creates a file with .ps1 extension in Windows. What type of file is it?
- PowerShell documentation
- PowerShell cmdlet
- PowerShell script
- PowerShell function
10. What is the purpose of the cd∖ command?
- changes directory to the root directory
- changes directory to the next lower directory
- changes directory to the next highest directory
- changes directory to the previous directory
11. A security incident has been filed and an employee believes that someone has been on the computer since the employee left last night. The employee states that the computer was turned off before the employee left for the evening. The computer is running slowly and applications are acting strangely. Which Microsoft Windows tool would be used by the security analyst to determine if and when someone logged on to the computer after working hours?
- Performance Monitor
- Task Manager
- Event Viewer
12. What would be displayed if the netstat -abno command was entered on a Windows PC?
- all active TCP and UDP connections, their current state, and their associated process ID (PID)
- a local routing table
- only active TCP connections in an ESTABLISHED state
- only active UDP connections in an LISTENING state
13. Which net command is used on a Windows PC to establish a connection to a shared directory on a remote server?
- net session
- net share
- net use
- net start
14. Which Windows tool can be used by a cybersecurity administrator to secure stand-alone computers that are not part of an active directory domain?
- Local Security Policy
- Windows Firewall
- Windows Defender
15. Match the Windows command to the description.