CCNA 1 v6.0 Chapter 5: Ethernet: Check your Understanding Answers
1. At which layers of the OSI model does Ethernet function? (Choose two.)
- Data link
2. Which standard specifies the Ethernet MAC sublayer functionality in a computer NIC?
- IEEE 802.2
- IEEE 802.3
- IEEE 802.5
- IEEE 802.11
- IEEE 802.15
3. What is the name given to the Ethernet MAC sublayer PDU?
4. What are the primary functions associated with data encapsulation at the Ethernet MAC sublayer? (Choose three.)
- Media recovery
- Frame deliminating
- Frame placement on the media
- Error detection
5. What happens when a data collision occurs on an Ethernet bus?
- The CRC value is used to repair the data frames.
- All devices stop transmitting and try again later.
- The device with the lower MAC address stops transmitting to give the device with the higher MAC address priority.
- The MAC sublayer prioritizes the frame with the lower MAC address.
6. What is true about the Ethernet MAC address? (Choose three.)
- A MAC address is 32 bits in length.
- The first 6 hexadecimal digits of a MAC address represent the OUI.
- The IEEE is responsible for assigning vendors a unique 6-byte code.
- The vendor is responsible for assigning the last 24 bits of the MAC address.
- The MAC address is also known as a burned-in address.
7. What is the minimum and maximum Ethernet frame size as defined by IEEE 802.3?
- 64 bytes – 1518 bytes
- 64 bytes – 1522 byres
- 32 bytes – 1518 bytes
- 32 bytes – 1522 bytes
8. Which field in an Ethernet frame is used for error detection?
- Destination MAC Address
- Frame Check Sequence
9. Which address is used as a destination address on a broadcast Ethernet frame?
10. Which address is a multicast MAC address?
11. What functions are provided by the ARP process? (Choose two.)
- Resolving IPv4 addresses to MAC addresses
- Resolving host names to MAC addresses
- Maintaining a table of mappings
- Resolving host names to IP addresses
- Maintaining a table of active IP addresses
12. Which devices on a network will hear an ARP request?
- Only the device that has the IPv4 address that the request is looking for
- All devices in the L2 broadcast domain
- Only devices in the same collision domain
13. Fill in the blanks.
When ARP receives a request to map an IPv4 address to a MAC address, it first looks in its ____. If no entry is found, ARP will send out an ARP__.
14. Fill in the blanks.
When a device receives an ARP request for a device with a different IP address, it will use the ____ information to update its ARP table and then it will ____ the packet.
15. Fill in the blanks.
ARP ____ are sent to a broadcast MAC address, and ARP replies are sent to a ____ MAC address.
16. Fill in the blanks.
When a switch receives a broadcast frame, it enters the source information in its ____ and then it ____ the frame to all ports except the one the frame was ____ on.
17. Fill in the blanks.
The MAC address table is sometimes referred to as a ____ table because it is stored in ____ memory.
18. What type of switching is used on current L2 switches to allow QoS?
19. What name is given to a physical port on a Layer 3 switch configured to act as a router port?
- Switch virtual interface
- Routed port
- Layer 3 EtherChannel
20. Fill in the blanks.
To configure a routed port, the interface must be put into Layer 3 mode by using the ____ interface configuration command. After this, the interface must be assigned an ____ address.