- A normal (non root) user has which type of access to the /etc/passwd file?
- Read only
- Execute, read, and write
- Read and write
- Write only
- The /etc/passwd file can be modified by which of the following?
- Remote user
- Group account
- Any user
- Root user
- A normal user, joe has the following record in the /etc/passwd file. What does the x indicate?
- Password for user joe is locked
- Password for user joe is x
- joe has not yet set his password
- The encrypted password has been stored in the /etc/shadow file
- Refer to following record in the passwd file:
UID and GID for test_user are, respectively:
- 520 and 521
- 21 and 20
- 521 and 520
- 521 and 1041
- Which of the following info about users is not present in passwd file record?
- The user’s shell
- The user’s account name
- The user’s home directory
- The user’s password
- Regular users can modify their GECOS information using which of the following commands?
- Which of the following commands CANNOT be used to update user information in the /etc/passwd file?
- The root user can convert the password of any user into readable text form.True or False?
- Which of the following information is not stored in the /etc/shadow file?
- Default home directory
- Encrypted password
- Days since last password change
- Maximum number of days remaining for the password to expire
- A regular user wants a password that never expires. The Maximum field value in the /etc/shadow file should be set to:
- No value
- The system administrator wants to create a temporary user account to be used for only five days. Immediately after five days, the account should become unavailable for login. The following values should be set for the temporary user in the shadow file:
- Expire date=today+5
- In the /etc/shadow file, a user record has !! as the first two characters in the encrypted password field. What does this signify?
- The password has !! as the first two characters
- The password is about to expire
- The account is locked
- No significance, it is encrypted text
- The system administrator wants to make the password empty for user Don. He should execute the passwd command with which of the following options?
- –a Don
- –d Don
- –l Don
- –u Don
- A Linux administrator modifies the values of UID_MAX and UID_MIN parameters in the /etc/login.defs file. This in effect will allow her to:
- Assign UID and GID within the specified range for all users
- Assign GID within the specified range for new users
- Change password expiration policy for existing users
- Assign UID within the specified range for new users
- The research team for ABC Corp is being increased from one to five members. What is the best way to add new team members to the server?
- Create a group named research , with each member given an account belonging to the group.
- Create a new login account named research that all new members share
- Create individual users and assign them root privileges
- Add new users with blank passwords
- A user is a member of three different secondary groups. Which file will contain information regarding his membership in these secondary groups?
groupscommand displays your current primary group as the first group while the
getentcommand will always display the default primary group.
True or False?
- An account on a Linux system has a UID of 50. Which type of account is this?
- Temporary account
- System account
- Regular user account
- Group account
- Which option, when used with
useraddcommand, will display the default options that are used when creating a new user?
- A new user was created using the command
useradd steve. The command
grep steve/etc/shadowwill show the password field for this account as:
- Running the command
useradd benon a system with User Private Groups will create:
- A user ben and a group ben both are created
- Only a new user ben is created
- A user ben and login directory is created
- Only a group ben is created
- Changes in the /etc/skel directory will apply to:
- All existing users
- None – the /etc/skel directory has no effect on user accounts
- New users having their home directory in /etc/
- New users created using useradd command
- The command
passwd –S test_userproduces the following output:
test_user NP 03/28/2014 0 99999 7 -1
What information does this convey regarding the password status of the test_user account?
- There is no password
- Locked password
- New password stored in /etc/shadow
- Set but non-printable password
- Using the command
passwd –e test_user, the root user can force a password change in the next login attempt.True or False?
- The command
chageCANNOT be used to:
- Delete a user
- Update information related to password expiry
- View password aging policies
- Enforce a password changing and expiry policy for specific user accounts
- Which of the following commands will set the grace login period of 10 days after the password has expired?
- chage –m 5 temp_user
- chage –I 10 temp_user
- chage –E “2014-06-01” temp_user
- chage –W 10 temp_user
- User lori reported that her account is locked. Which of the following commands will unlock her account?
- usermod –L lori
- usermod lori –e 2014-04-30
- usermod –U lori
- usermod lori –g sales
- The system administrator wants to delete the user account joe. However, joe is already logged in to the system. Which of the following commands will allow the administrator to delete joe?
- userdel –r joe_user
- usermod –d –f joe_user
- userdel joe_user
- userdel –f joe_user
- Which of the following commands will allow the root user to create a new group for the sales department and assign this new group the GID of 1250?
- Specific GID cannot be assigned
- groupadd sales_group 1250
- groupadd sales_group –g 1250
- groupadd sales_group –n 1250
- The system administrator notices that a file shows a numeric group id 1508. What does this signify?
- Group name corresponding to GID 1508 is deleted
- The file belongs to a system group id
- Group name is 1508
- The system has been hacked
Download PDF File below: