1. The daemon program that provides logging services for the Linux kernel is:
2. The daemon that provides logging services for applications and programs is:
3. The syslogd facility gets the messages from klogd and decides the action based on configuration settings.
True or False?
4. Each line in syslog.conf must specify:
- Selector facility
- Selector priority
- All choices are valid
5. Identify the invalid syslog.conf selector facility:
6. A line in the syslog.conf file contains * in the actions part. What does this mean?
- A message is displayed to everyone who is logged in
- A text message is written into the default log file
- An asterisk *, in place of a text message, will be displayed
- There is no action specified
7. In Debian-derived systems, the /etc/sysconfig/syslog file is not used to configure syslog. Instead, the /etc/init.d/syslogd script is edited directly to set the SYSLOGD variable.
True or False?
8. Which of the following ports should be opened in the firewall to allow centralized logging?
- UDP 514
- TCP 443
- UDP 554
- TCP 514
9. The syslog.conf is currently set to *.info. Which of the following will result in more verbose logging messages?
10. Which of the following settings in syslog.conf will enable syslogd to log messages of err priority level only?
11. A recently installed program appears to be malfunctioning. In which directory should you look for logs related to the new program?
12. Arrange the following items in increasing order of priority:
alert, err, emerg, warning, crit
- warning, err, alert, emerg, crit
- alert, warning, err, crit, emerg
- warning, alert, err, crit, emerg
- warning, err, crit, alert, emerg
13. Which of the following selector settings in syslog.conf will select all kernel messages?
14. Which option to the
logger command is used to specify a tag for the log entry?
15. Logs contain a wealth of data and may include all of the following, except:
- Configuration settings
- Information messages
16. Which of the following commands is not used to view log files on a Linux operating system?
17. The system administrator is seeing a surge in the number of logged messages. She checked the process accounting setting and it is not turned on. What else could be the reason for the sudden increase?
- Due to configuration errors or hardware errors
- Few processes are running in the background
- Server is running slow
- The klogd daemon is not running
18. The system administrator wants to implement centralized logging for the network. Hosts on the network must be configured for:
- Remote logging using syslog
- Secure logging
19. System administrators can use logs for all of the following, except:
- Installing new packages
- Troubleshooting software
- Troubleshooting hardware
- Tuning the system for efficiency or security
20. Errors relating scheduled cron jobs can be found at which of the following locations?
21. Which of the following
logger command options will use the message specified in the temp_message file?
logger – f temp_message
logger –s temp_message
logger –t temp message
logger –l temp_message
22. Which of the following files contains general and system related messages?
23. If process accounting is turned on, then the amount of log messages generated will be very low.
True or False?
24. In a centralized syslog logging setup, remote hosts must be configured to send messages. Which of the following would be the correct setting to send all messages for the “warning” services to the machine with the hostname rsyslogserver?
- *.warned rsyslogserver
- *.warned @rsyslogserver
- *.warning @rsyslogserver
- *.warning rsyslogserver
25. On a Red Hat-derived system, the SYSLOGD_OPTIONS variable in the /etc/sysconfig/syslog file is set to –m 0. This setting:
- Writes mark messages continuously without any breaks
- Disables DNS lookups
- Disables mark messages
- Accepts mark messages from a remote host
Download PDF File below: