8.8.2 Linux Basics Quiz Answers
1. An author is uploading one chapter document from a personal computer to a file server of a book publisher. What role is the personal computer assuming in this network model?
2. In the context of a Linux operating system, which command can be used to display the syntax and parameters for a specific command?
3. A system administrator issues the command ps on a server that is running the Linux operating system. What is the purpose of this command?
- to display the contents of the current directory
- to process a new task
- to list the processes currently running in the system
- to change file permissions
4. A system administrator issues the apt-get upgrade command on a Linux operating system. What is the purpose of this command?
- Operating system updates are downloaded and will be installed.
- Every application installed will update itself to the latest version.
- A specific application named upgrade will be installed.
- The remote repository of applications and dependencies will be updated to the latest version.
5. Why would a rootkit be used by a hacker?
- to gain access to a device without being detected
- to do reconnaissance
- to try to guess a password
- to reverse engineer binary files
6. Consider the result of the ls -l command in the Linux output below. What are the group file permissions assigned to the analyst.txt file?
ls –l analyst.txt -rwxrw-r-- sales staff 1028 May 28 15:50 analyst.txt
- read, write
- read only
- full access
- read, write, execute
7. Which type of tool is used by a Linux administrator to attack a computer or network to find vulnerabilities?
- intrusion detection system
- malware analysis
8. What is a benefit of Linux being an open source operating system?
- Linux distributions must include free support without cost.
- Linux distributions are simpler operating systems since they are not designed to be connected to a network.
- Linux distributions are maintained by a single organization.
- Linux distribution source code can be modified and then recompiled.
9. Which method can be used to harden a device?
- Allow USB auto-detection.
- Force periodic password changes.
- Allow users to re-use old passwords.
- Allow default services to remain enabled.
10. Which Linux command can be used to display the name of the current working directory?
11. Which file system is the primary file system used by Apple in current Macintosh computers?
12. A technician has captured packets on a network that has been running slowly when accessing the internet. Which port number should the technician look for within the captured material to locate HTTP packets?
13. Which operating system source code can be downloaded and modified by any person or company?
- Mac OS X
- Cisco IOS
14. What is a daemon?
- a type of security attack
- a background process that runs without the need for user interaction
- an application that monitors and analyzes suspicious activity
- a record to keep track of important events