1. Which network service synchronizes the time across all devices on the network?
2. Fill in the blank.
The distribution layer of the three-layer network design model aggregates data from the access layer.
3. Which network service allows administrators to monitor and manage network devices?
4. True or False?
A standard ACL filters network traffic based on the destination MAC address.
5. Fill in the blank.
An ACL permits or denies traffic through a router based on specific defined criteria.
6. A static route route is created when a network administrator manually configures a route and the exit interface is active.
7. True or False?
In a star LAN topology, every end system must be connected to every other end system.
8. What type of physical topology can be created by connecting all Ethernet cables to a central device?
9. What specialized network device is responsible for enforcing access control policies between networks?
10. Which device is an intermediary device?
- smart device
11. True or False?
A WLAN frame sent by a wireless client is formatted differently than a wired Ethernet frame.
12. Which statement describes a difference between RADIUS and TACACS+?
- RADIUS uses TCP whereas TACACS+ uses UDP.
- RADIUS is supported by the Cisco Secure ACS software whereas TACACS+ is not.
- RADIUS encrypts only the password whereas TACACS+ encrypts all communication.
- RADIUS separates authentication and authorization whereas TACACS+ combines them as one process.
13. What information does an Ethernet switch examine and use to build its address table?
- source IP address
- source MAC address
- destination IP address
- destination MAC address
14. Which wireless parameter refers to the frequency bands used to transmit data to a wireless access point?
- channel settings
- security mode
- scanning mode
15. What specialized network device uses signatures to detect patterns in network traffic?
16. Which type of security threat can be described as software that attaches itself to another program to execute a specific unwanted function?
- proxy Trojan horse
- denial of service Trojan horse
17. A network administrator detects unknown sessions involving port 21 on the network. What could be causing this security breach?
- An FTP Trojan horse is executing.
- A reconnaissance attack is occurring.
- A denial of service attack is occurring.
- Cisco Security Agent is testing the network.
18. Which term is used to describe the act of sending an email message in an attempt to divulge sensitive information from someone?
- script kiddie
- DoS attack
19. What type of attack uses zombies?
- Trojan horse
- SEO poisoning
- spear phishing
20. What is the purpose of a reconnaissance attack on a computer network?
- to steal data from the network servers
- to redirect data traffic so that it can be monitored
- to prevent users from accessing network resources
- to gather information about the target network and system
21. Which example illustrates how malware might be concealed?
- A botnet of zombies carry personal information back to the hacker.
- A hacker uses techniques to improve the ranking of a website so that users are redirected to a malicious site.
- An attack is launched against the public website of an online retailer with the objective of blocking its response to visitors.
- An email is sent to the employees of an organization with an attachment that looks like an antivirus update, but the attachment actually consists of spyware.
22. Which tool is used to provide a list of open ports on network devices?
23. What is the purpose of a rootkit?
- to masquerade as a legitimate program
- to deliver advertisements without user consent
- to replicate itself independently of any other programs
- to gain privileged access to a device while concealing itself
24. True or False?
The primary objective of a DoS attack is to penetrate systems and steal data.
25. When describing malware, what is a difference between a virus and a worm?
- A virus focuses on gaining privileged access to a device, whereas a worm does not.
- A virus can be used to deliver advertisements without user consent, whereas a worm cannot.
- A virus replicates itself by attaching to another file, whereas a worm can replicate itself independently.
- A virus can be used to launch a DoS attack (but not a DDoS), but a worm can be used to launch both DoS and DDoS attacks.
26. What is the significant characteristic of worm malware?
- Worm malware disguises itself as legitimate software.
- A worm can execute independently of the host system.
- A worm must be triggered by an event on the host system.
- Once installed on a host system, a worm does not replicate itself.
27. Which type of attack allows an attacker to use a brute force approach?
- social engineering
- packet sniffing
- denial of service
- password cracking
28. What is the best description of Trojan horse malware?
- It is the most easily detected form of malware.
- It is malware that can only be distributed over the Internet.
- It is software that causes annoying but not fatal computer problems.
- It appears as useful software but hides malicious code.
29. What is an example of “hacktivism”?
- Criminals use the Internet to attempt to steal money from a banking company.
- A country tries to steal defense secrets from another country by infiltrating government networks.
- A teenager breaks into the web server of a local newspaper and posts a picture of a favorite cartoon character.
- A group of environmentalists launch a denial of service attack against an oil company that is responsible for a large oil spill.