Networking Devices and Initial Configuration Module 9.8.4 Transport Layer Quiz Answers
1. Match the characteristics to the correct protocols.
2. Which statement correctly describes data transmission at the transport layer?
- Retransmission of lost packets is provided by both TCP and UDP.
- Segmentation is provided by the window size field when the TCP protocol is used.
- A single datagram can include both a TCP and a UDP header.
- Both UDP and TCP use port numbers.
- Segmentation is provided by sequence numbers when UDP is used.
3. Which three fields are used in a UDP segment header? (Choose three.)
- Window Size
- Source Port
- Acknowledgment Number
- Sequence Number
4. What is the last segment sent to complete the termination process of a TCP session that was initiated by a client?
- a segment with the ACK flag set to 1 from the client
- a segment with the FIN flag set to 1 from the server
- a segment with the SYN flag set to 1 from the client
- a segment with the ACK flag set to 1 from the server
5. What is a characteristic of a TCP server process?
- Every application process running on the server has to be configured to use a dynamic port number.
- There can be many ports open simultaneously on a server, one for each active server application.
- An individual server can have two services assigned to the same port number within the same transport layer services.
- A host running two different applications can have both configured to use the same server port.
6. Network congestion has resulted in the source learning of the loss of TCP segments that were sent to the destination. What is one way that the TCP protocol addresses this?
- The source decreases the amount of data that it transmits before it receives an acknowledgement from the destination.
- The source decreases the window size to decrease the rate of transmission from the destination.
- The destination decreases the window size.
- The destination sends fewer acknowledgement messages in order to conserve bandwidth.
7. Which field in the TCP header indicates the status of the three-way handshake process?
- control bits
8. What are two features of protocols used within the TCP/IP protocol stack? (Choose two.)
- The Internet Layer IP protocol has built in mechanisms for ensuring the reliable transmission and receipt of data.
- UDP is used when an application must be delivered as quickly as possible and some loss of data can be tolerated.
- TCP and UDP destination port numbers are dynamically generated by the sending device in order to track the responses to requests.
- TCP mechanisms retransmit data when an acknowledgment is not received from the destination system within a set period of time.
- The same Transport Layer source port is used for all of the tabs opened at the same time within a web browser.
9. Match each description with the corresponding TCP mechanism.
10. Match the description to either TCP or UDP.
11. What is a characteristic of the UDP protocol?
- low overhead
- guaranteed delivery
- error correction
- end-to-end establishment before delivery
12. Which two flags in the Layer 4 PDU header are set by a client and server to terminate a TCP conversation? (Choose two.)