Networking Devices and Initial Configuration Module 5.4.3 Network Layer Quiz Answers
1. Which value, that is contained in an IPv4 header field, is decremented by each router that receives a packet?
- Differentiated Services
- Fragment Offset
- Header Length
2. Which statement accurately describes a characteristic of IPv4?
- All IPv4 addresses are assignable to hosts.
- IPv4 has a 32-bit address space.
- An IPv4 header has fewer fields than an IPv6 header has.
- IPv4 natively supports IPsec.
3. Which technology provides a solution to IPv4 address depletion by allowing multiple devices to share one public IP address?
4. Why is IPv6 designed to replace IPv4?
- because most computers have a 64-bit processor
- because the IPv4 address space will soon be depleted
- to allow computers to address more memory
- to address compatibility issues with mobile devices
5. Which characteristic of the network layer in the OSI model allows carrying packets for multiple types of communications among many hosts?
- the de-encapsulation of headers from lower layers
- the selection of paths for and direct packets toward the destination
- the ability to operate without regard to the data that is carried in each packet
- the ability to manage the data transport between processes running on hosts
6. Which statement describes a characteristic of the network layer in the OSI model?
- It manages the data transport between the processes running on each host.
- In the encapsulation process, it adds source and destination port numbers to the IP header.
- When a packet arrives at the destination host, its IP header is checked by the network layer to determine where the packet has to be routed.
- Its protocols specify the packet structure and processing used to carry the data from one host to another.
7. Which layer of the OSI model is responsible for the logical addressing of packets?
- data link
8. What is the order of encapsulation for the protocol data units passing from the user application down the stack?
- bits, segments, packets, frames, data
- data, segments, packets, frames, bits
- segments, data, packets, frames, bits
- segments, packets, frames, bits, data
9. What process involves placing one PDU inside of another PDU?
- flow control
10. What information is added during encapsulation at OSI Layer 3?
- source and destination MAC
- source and destination application protocol
- source and destination port number
- source and destination IP address
11. How does the network layer use the MTU value?
- The network layer depends on the higher level layers to determine the MTU.
- The network layer depends on the data link layer to set the MTU, and adjusts the speed of transmission to accommodate it.
- The MTU is passed to the network layer by the data link layer.
- To increase speed of delivery, the network layer ignores the MTU.